Memory lane 0

Cassie remembered, she remembered it all. Every detail, every sound, every single breath from the first six years of her life came flooding back to her, crashing over her like a tidal wave and dragging her down into murky depths of her memory. She was experiencing it all at once and it was agonizing.

She had wanted this right? She was the one who had spent so much time devoting herself to finding out her past, with every fiber of her body she had spent so many years chasing a memory.

And now that she had it, she found herself wishing she could forget once more. Some memories were happy, she could finally see her mother, a beautiful woman with shoulder length sunset hair, pale skin and pointed ears. She was young in Cassie's memory no older than twenty one more than likely she had Cassie too soon.

In her memories her mother was happy, she was bright and cheerful, always trying to make her daughter smile. Cassie found herself watching her life unfold before her as if she were a third party watching a movie. " Mom!" Cassie tried to call out but no words escaped her lips, she wasn't really there she was just seeing her past.

She watched her younger self laugh and cry, dancing with her mother with not a care in the world. Her mom's quirk allowed her to communicate with plants and she would often take Cassie with her on her trips to the woods.

Her memories were safe, they were warm and loving but there was always a hint of sadness. Cassie never once saw her mom with her dad, she still didn't know who he was and she was nearing the end of her lost memories. It wasn't until her sixth birthday that it turned dark.

It was raining outside and little Cassie was baking cookies with her mom, the small girl chattering about what kind of cake she wanted while the woman listened, a small smile painting her slim features. But again something was off, her mom seemed on edge like she knew what was about to happen. Maybe the trees outside had whispered to her about his arrival.

The front door slammed open and little Cassie screamed out in surprise. Her mom's already pale face turned white as a sheet as she scooped the small girl into her arms grabbing her face so the child's wide green eyes were looking into hers.

" Listen to me Cassie, mommy loves you so much I will always love you no matter what my darling little fairy. I need you to do exactly as I say now okay?'' The woman sounded urgent almost as if she were pleading with the small girl to listen.

Even as a small child Cassie was seemingly more aware of emotions because she was quick to register her mothers fear, nodding her head quietly. " Close your eyes and cover your ears, whatever you do don't follow me." she whispered, kissing the small girl's forehead.

" But why?" Little Cassie whispered with worry, looking up at her mother with concern. Her mother chuckled gently pushing Cassie farther into the kitchen. " Everything is alright, we are just playing a little game of hide and seek and mommy is giving you a heads start. " Cassie whimpered, still not sure of her mothers request. " Go on my sweet little fairy, go find the best hiding place you can and I will come find you soon."

Little Cassie was placed on the ground and she stood there quietly watching her mother walk out of the room. She knew something was wrong and she really wanted to listen to her mothers instructions but something wasn't sitting right in her stomach.

So the small girl followed her mom, hiding behind the kitchen door peeking out into the hallway where her mom was speaking to a man. He was tall towering over her mother easily, his shaggy light blonde, almost white hair was tied up in a half bun, tanned skin rippling with muscles and piercing golden eyes that glared down at the woman who stood her ground.

" You don't get to just break into my home after leaving me to raise a child alone." Cassie's mom growled angrily and the man in front of her ran a hand through his hair, a grim expression crossing his face. " I didn't even know you had a child Natasha, how is any of this my fault?'' He replied, his tone calm and measured.

Cassie's mom, Natasha as her name seemed to be, clenched her fists in barely concealed anger. " You didn't bother to stick around long enough to find out." she grumbled glancing at her feet to stop the tears that began to build up in her eyes.

The man stepped closer to the woman lifting her head with his index finger, a regretful frown painting his lips. Natasha flinched visibly uncomfortable by how close he was to her. " I was trying to keep you safe by leaving. " he whispered, his tone sounding almost threatening.

" Being with me only puts you in more danger and I couldn't risk losing you. I loved you so much that I had to walk away." the man struggled to explain as he tried to pull Natasha into his arms only for her to shove him away.

Natasha took a step back watching as the man's posture straightened ever so slightly, his hands trembling at his sides. " Why are you here Lucian?'' Natasha asked, backing away from the man slowly sensing something was off about his presence.

" The commission feels threatened by you; they plan to send someone to kill you." Natasha's eyes widened in horror, a gasp of air escaping past her lips. " You can't be serious right now Lucian...'' Natasha whispered.

The man, Lucian, nodded his head frowning down at the woman. " Listen to me you have to take the kid and run, they will be here any minute it's not safe for you to st- " It happened in a flash, so fast that the young Cassie who was still watching from behind the kitchen door flinched, cutting off the man's words mid sentence.

Next thing the little girl knew, her mother was on the ground, a knife lodged deep inside of her chest. Blood pooled past the handle of the blade for a few seconds before the weapon was ripped out of her body and clattered to the ground. Lucian hovered over Natasha's body, his golden eyes shadowed by his hair, he stood there stunned, unable to say anything. His mouth hung open as he looked around frantically.

The present Cassie blinked in horror at the sight she turned to look away to gather her emotions, but when she looked back the scene had changed slightly, instead of Luciean cradling her mother's already limp body in shock of the knife that had seemingly been thrown from outside the house, he was now instead holding the bloody knife in his hand glaring down at Natasha.

Cassie was confused this wasn't what had happed a moment ago, and why was this specific moment of her memory so blurry? She must have tried to suppress it in the moment it happened. Her scrambling thoughts were cut off by her younger selfs loud scream.

" Mom!'' Little Cassie screamed, scrambling from the kitchen and to her mothers side grabbing the woman's limp hand in her own small trembling palm. '' Mom this, this isn't funny. I don't like this game anymore. " the small girl sobbed tears pouring from her eyes. " Mommy please get up, I don't want to play anymore." The little girl continued to beg but to no avail, her mother was dead.

She felt her body being lifted off the ground and into the air. In protest the little girl kicked and screamed demanding to be put down but the man holding her did not listen. " Help her! You're a hero right, Mommy said you were the best hero so you have to save her!'' Cassie pleaded with the man who just looked down at her sadly as if he hadn't just killed someone.

" Little Cassiea, now is not the time to fuss we have to leave now before they get to you as well." he chided the little girl while attempting to keep his voice level, his large hand drying her tears only for his palm to be swatted away by the distraught child.

" You're a monster..." the little girl hissed glaring daggers at who she had now realized was her own father. The man seemed genuinely hurt by her words but did not grace her with a reply. Soon Cassie found herself on the doorsteps of the japanese central police department.

By the next day her memory was gone, her six years of life taken from her for her own safety. She was given a blank start, a chance at life without the image of her mothers bloodied body seared into her brain like a permanent scar. The only evidence of the incident was a large, precise crescent shaped scar that now lay across the bridge of her nose as if to allow for a specific person to someday identify her.