Jazz Singer (B.E.)

1986, California, Los Angeles. Could be very inaccurate

so inspired by re8 lady dimitrescu

Billie is 26, Reader is 24.

You sit at a bar with a drink in hand as you watch various bands and performers have their turn up stage. You didn't come with your mates. Tonight, you wanted a relaxing, calming night of jazz.

Jazz doesn't get much love any more. It's all about Disco nowadays.

You do love a bit of disco and you love how it's coming along but sometimes you got to appreciate the original genres like jazz which dates back decades ago.

So, as you sip on your alcohol (of choice), you sigh and lean back on the bar as a new band are on the stage. The rich, red curtains were closed and the small spotlight was pointing towards the middle of the curtains where either side met and covered each other.

Everyone grew curious and turned their attention to the stage. Laughter and chatter quickly died down as a beautiful, harmonious voice sounded through the microphone connecting to the speakers.

"Voice of a beauty, I can tell." A man with a pleasantly deep voice spoke next to you. He had a small smile on his face.

Giving a small smile, you turn to look back at the main stage.

The curtains were drew back, slowly. A man on the drums with a mullet, a man with a saxophone with quite large muscles—practically bursting out through his suit whilst a and a man on the electric guitar with striking red hair.

And finally, the wonderful voice of the group—She. Whoever she was... She had everybody in the building intrigued.

Her confident, soothing voice. Her hair blonde and curled into a short style, eyes piercing the crowd every moment as she made eye contact with multiple people.

Her body. She sported a tight, beige dress, long gloves going up to elbow's length as she gripped the microphone resting in the stand.

Her voice, looks and eyes captured everyone.

No one was not looking.

The saxophone playing light melodies, the drums giving a nice subtle beat, the electric guitar playing beautiful chords and sometimes matching the note of the woman's voice.

The energy shifted and it was amazing.

You just could not find it in your to take your eyes off of the blond.

What is the name of that one? She... right there. The main star.

Minutes pass and you're finally the person she glanced at.

However, she doesn't take her eyes off of you for quite some time. You're all into dressing as you wish and so you would proudly claim you don't dress like other women. Certainly, you don't dress like how that woman is dressed. But she pulls it off so effortlessly.

So elegant.

Her eyes drifted down your figure to take in your loose-fitting suit with the first few top buttons of the shirt undone, showing an expensive chain.

You hoped she was impressed and not grossed out by the clothing. Women still aren't able to do many things like men just yet. We can't really dress like them without being spoken down to by them.

"Press my lips—" The singer winked and blew a kiss to you, "against yours."

That was seriously part of the song? It seemed as though she was saving it up for you.

She must really be a good performer if she is making you believe she cares about you so deeply.

Her eyes stay on you though and it makes you a bit nervous.

You smile at her softly and soften your eyes while taking a sip of your drink.

The man next to you nudges you and winks.

"Taking a likin' to you I see."

He laughed as he leaned in to speak in your ear.

You look away from the woman on stage and look down to focus on hearing him. You smile, laugh and nod. His smell was so strong and nice. So fragrented but so delicious to smell.

"Hope she likes what she sees. She's not too bad herself." You joke back with the stranger, giving him a smile and patting his shoulder.

"Yeahhh, more like she looks like the women on the papers. Absolutely stunning. Probably a model too or something."

He laughs and finishes his drink, turning around to order another one.

You instantly turn back to the stage and the woman had already moved onto gazing into other people's eyes.

She and the band had a set for an hour. And, wow, that hour went amazingly quick. The music was immaculate, to say the least.

You had learned the man you were sat next to was called 'Patty'. He seemed like a cool man. Dressed smartly and so gracious with his actions. Quite handsome, too.

"Patty, I'm going to look for that beauty back stage and see if I have a chance."

"Of course! If not, let her know I'm interested."

You give a smile and a laugh, patting him on the back and downing the remains of your drinks. With a deep sigh and with the confidence from the alcohol, you find yourself going towards the dark backstage area.

"So sorry!" You automatically spoke as you bumped into a person.

"Don't worry, darling. You're fine."

"Oh. I was looking for you."

"You were?" The woman smiled flirtatiously and raised any eyebrow. Everything she did was so sultry.

"Yes. With a voice equally as beautiful as your face I think you're bound to attract some attention—no?" You finish with a smile, your eyes raking up and down her attire yet again.

"Quite the charmer, hm? Sorry, dear, I'm not one for one night flings."

You let a small frown grace your features.

"Well, dove, perhaps you could let me take you out on a date some time?" You try again, with another small smile.

"I'm terribly busy at all times. I'm sorry, darling. I can't see it happening."

Billie tilted her head slightly and you let out a small sigh—still smiling.

"We'll see."

Billie liked this.

Throughout the night, as the woman sat with her band and enjoyed other band's music, both stole glances.

Your other friends had turned up to have a more relaxed night with you. Most of your other friends were still at a disco.

"So, that gem over there... What's the deal? She keeps staring at you and you keep returning the stares."

You look at your friend. She was also wearing a suit like you. Nothing too formal yet nothing too personal. You got along best with her since you were both so similar—both being slightly more masculine than most lesbians.

"Yeah, what's up with that?" Another friend added, glancing off to the woman.

She was immersed in a conversation the next time you looked over.

"She played earlier and was so... she was amazing when she sang. But, uh, I shot my shot and she turned me down twice. So I told her that we'll see if she'll go out with me or not. When she was singing she blew me a kiss and winked. So I took it as a sign."

"You're hopeless."

Your friend laughed and nudged you.

"Shut up. I only want to take her to bed."

You admit.

"And... she knows that."

<3 ymfp toodles