Best Friend Knows Best

Dan was lying on his bed listening to music softly through his headphones, humming mindlessly as he tapped against his lap.

He looked out the window, seeing the rain pouring down heavily along with thunder. Dan yawned, checking the time.

Nearly 1am. He should probably get into bed atleast.

Dan got up, stretching and yawning. He was interrupted when his phone started ringing loudly of an obnoxious tune.

He grabbed his phone, wondering who would be calling at this hour. Not to much suprise, his best friend Phil. Of course Phil would be up at this hour too. Dan chuckled softly, answering it.

"What's up?" Dan called, more softly since his parents were sleeping.

"D-D-Dan." A voice wheeped from the other line. He could hardly hear it since the sound of rain was overpowering it.

"Phil? What happened?!" Dan said sternly, instantly putting his shoes on and searching for a jacket.

"I-I..." Phil's voice cracked.

"Where are you lion?" Dan said softy in hopes to calm Phil down.

"O-Outside that c-club near t-the p-park." Phil choked.

"I'm on my way. Phil don't hang up, you hear me?"

The other end fell silent and muffling could he heard.

"Phil?! Phil do not hang up." Dan shouted.

"I-I won't." Phil sniffed.

Dan finally found his jacket and keys, leaving to get to Phil. It was a 20 minute walk but whilst running took a lot less.

"Ph...Phil." Dan said breathlessly from running. "Where are you? I can't find you!" He frantically ran around, guided by the small flicker of the street lights.

He wanted Phil to be safe. He needed Phil to be safe.

Dan finally found Phil on the edge of the building, sitting on the floor with his knees to hig chest, hugging them as he shivered in the continious rain.

Dan instantly took his jacket off, walking to Phil and placing it around him, covering his hair with the hood.

"What happened lion?" Dan asked, helping Phil up.

"J-Jake kept telling m-me to come here! A-And I didn't w-want to b-but I did a-and h-h-he-" Phil burst into tears as Dan hugged him once he stood up.

"Shh shh slowly." Dan soothed, hugging Phil tightly not caring how soaked he was getting from the rain.

"H-He tried to drug me a-and r-rape me..." Phil choked, tightening his grip on Dan.

Dan sighed. "Come on, let's take a cab home." He said, calling a cab on his phone.

Once they got home, and Dan's parents had woken up from all the commotion, he explained what had happened to Phil. Since Phil was like a son to his parents, they persuaded Phil to stay at theirs.

That was because Phil's parents lived in Manchester and for the past month or so, he had been sharing a flat with that asshole Jake.

When Phil and Dan were both dry and in new warm clothes, they sat on Dan's bed under a ray of warm blankets staring up at the ceiling.

"I...I really thought he loved me you know. I loved him." Phil said quietly.

Dan shifted, turning to face Phil fully. "Tomorrow i'll go and get your stuff for you and maybe give him a punch or two. Or nine."

Phil laughed softly, shaking his head as he too turned to face Dan. "Violence won't solve anything... I have a feeling he's tried to do that before on other people. But I really thought he loved me..."

Dan shuffled closer to Phil, wrapping his arms aroud his waist and pulling him into a hug.

"Well I love you. Isn't that enough?" Dan said sadly..

Phil sighed too. "I know you do Dan. I don't...I don't fully feel the same...yet...".

Dan's eyes widened. Whenever Dan had told Phil that, Phil would always sigh sadly and apologize. That was the first time he had said something different.

"Yet? Fully?!" Dan said excitedly.

"I don't know Dan." Phil shrugged. "Give me some time okay? I just broke up with my boyfriend."

Dan nodded, hugging Phil tightly and squealing into his shoulder..

~The Following Night~

"Dan." Phil yawned, facing him. They were still sharing a bed and both didn't mind. Same with Dan's parents since they were the ones who would constantly tease them about being a couple.

They also knew neither would try anything due to what had happened to Phil.

"Yes lion?" Dan smiled, turng to face Phil. He stared at Phil dreamily, amazed at how beautiful he was before snapping out of it.

"Although I think i'm starting to get feelings for you, my heart still hurts."

"Do you still love Jake?" Dan said emotionlessly.

"No." Phil replied sternly. "But I feel a weight on my chest."

Dan shugged, shuffling close to Phil until their legs were touching. Although Dan was very touchy-feely because of his love for Phil, Phil didn't mind.

"I honestly feel like shit." Phil said softly.

Dan turned to face ceiling as Phil did the same making their shoulders touch.

"I think I have some advice. It's something that was said by Beau Taplin." Dan smiled to himself, finding Phil's hand under the covers and grasping it.

Phil squeezed back. "What is it?"

"Everyone you meet has a part to play in your story. And while some may take a chapter, others a paragraph and most will be no more than scribbled notes in the margin, someday, you'll meet someone who will become so integral to your life, you'll put their names in the title."

Phil was silent for a while.

"Did that help?" Dan said quietly.

"I don't know how but when you're not trying you're make me get nervous and my heat do the flippy over thing. Especially when you say cute stuff like that." Phil mumbled.

Dan gasped. "R-Really?! Oh my god am I that smooth?!"

Phil smiled to himself and rolled his eyes at Dan. "Shut up."

"Wow I finally made you feel the way I constantly feel around you. I finally got you to feel it! Oh my god Philly you're falling for me, you are, aren't you Philly?" Dan smirked, knowing how much that pet name annoyed Phil.

"Daaaan." Phil huffed.

"Philly is falling for me, he has a crush, Philly has a cruuush, Philly has a cruuush-"

Phil quickly shut Dan up by turning and pressing their lips together. Dan froze at first, then started to kiss back, pulling Phil closer by his hips. Phil could feel something warm against his upper cheek and pulled apart.

"Why are you crying?!" Phil laughed, aweing at Dan and wiping his tears away.

Dan shyly shrugged, looking down and smiling to himself. "I-I'm an emotional w-wreck right now okay let m-me be." He sniffed.

"Now I know what to use to shut you up."

"Now I know that I should never shut up when you ask."

xx