Coffee Boy

Phil worked at a small coffee shop at the corner of the road. It was nice and quiet there, never packed. He liked it. He liked the customers, the nice ones.

They were normally all nice. All except one. One who went by the name of Dan. Dan had been coming to the shop for years, always sad or moody.

He was always covered head to toe in large hoodies and jeans, even over his hair. Phil took an interest in Dan. Dan was around 18, a few years younger than himself.

So Phil had a feeling of wanting to take care of him and protect him. In a way. As if he knew him.

So Phil did just that. He would always sweetly smile at the constantly depressed teen and have conversations with.

They always ended in blunt answers but Phil was use to it. It was always like that.

Until one day, something changed.

*

The small bell of the shop rang and in entered Dan. If was currently empty since nobody was off work as of yet. The usual time Dan popped by.

"Hey Dan." Phil smiled.

Dan looked closely at Phil as always. A hoodie was covering his face so you could hardly see it today. He also looked tired, Phil could hear the panting.

Dan just nodded.

"Black coffee as usual?" Phil asked, already starting to prepare it, looking back to see Dan nod.

There were other workers too, but Phil liked to work the register on his own and they came to help when it got busy.

Dan was now sitting at his usual table in the corner as Phil followed him to hand the coffee.

He sat down on the seat in front of Dan, resting his chin on the palm of his hand. "You seem sad. I mean you're always sad. But something's different. I really wished I was your friend. I try so hard."

Dan bit his lip, hiding more under the hoodie over his head, shaking his head.

"I really do! You seem nice, you're so young but so sad. It's not right. You deserve to be happy. Everyone does to some extent."

Silence still.

"Well, as usual, whenever you need a friend, i'm always here."

Dan nodded and Phil walked away but he could of swore he heard another small sniff come from that direction.

~

Dan didn't come in the next few days which was very strange.

He normally visited every day.

Phil was worried, very worried. He tried to not let the worry get to the best of him, trying to not let it affect his mood either.

He didn't know why he cared so much about a customer. He just did.

~

Dan returned three days later. His clothes were the same, but dirtier. The sleeves were ripped slightly at the ends that hid his hand. His hoodie was still coverng his face.

Phil looked around, sighing of relief to see the shop was empty again.

"Are you okay Dan? Did anything happen?!" He said worriedly.

Dan shuffled forward but looking away. He shook his head.

"Black coffee?"

He nods.

~

An hour later and Dan still sat at his seat, staring at his sleeves.

Phil sat in front of him, pale eyes glazed with worry and fixated on the teen.