008. drowning

Dean, Ophelia, and Natalie are in the motel when Sam gets back with Libby.

"So, I think it's safe to say we can rule out Nessie." Sam says.

"What do you mean?" Dean asks.

"I just drove past the Carlton house. There was an ambulance there. Will Carlton is dead." Sam informs.

"He drowned?" Dean asks.

"Yep. In the sink." Sam says.

"Damn." Natalie mumbles.

"What the hell? So, you're right, this isn't a creature. We're dealing with something else." Dean says.

"Yeah, but what?" Sam asks.

"I don't know. Water wraith, maybe? Some kind of demon? I mean, something that controls water... water that comes from the same source." Dean says.

"The lake." Sam says.

"Yeah."

"Which would explain why it's upping the body count. The lake is draining, it'll be dry in a few months. Whatever this thing is, whatever it wants, it's running out of time."

"And if it can get through the pipes, it can get to anyone, almost anywhere. This is gonna happen again soon."

"And we do know one other thing for sure. We know this has got to do something with Bill Carlton."

"Yeah, it took both his kids."

"And I've been asking around. Lucas' dad, Chris -- Bill Carlton's godson."

"Let's go pay Mr. Carlton a visit."

+++

"Mr. Carlton?" They walk onto the dock where Mr. Carlton is sitting. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind."

"We're from the Department--"

"I don't care who you're with." Bill says, cutting Dean off. "I've answered enough questions today."

"Your son said he saw something in that lake. What about you? You ever see anything out there? Mr. Carlton, Sophie's drowning and Will's death -- we think there might be a connection to you or your family." Sam says.

"My children are gone. It's... it's worse than dying." Bill says. Sam glances at Libby who Natalie is holding. Dean's grip slightly tightens on Ophelia's hand. Natalie sympathetically frowns, remembering her abortion.

"Go away. Please." Bill tells them.

They walk back to the car.

"What do you think?" Sam asks.

"Aw, I think the poor guy's been through hell. I also think he's not telling us something." Dean says.

"So now what?" Sam asks. Dean freezes as he stares at the house. "What is it?"

"Huh. Ophi, gimme that drawing Lucas gave you." Ophelia opens the back door and unzips her backpack. She gives the piece of paper to Dean and he holds it up. "Maybe Bill's not the only one who knows something."

+++

"I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea." Andrea says.

"I just need to talk to him. Just for a few minutes." Dean says.

"He won't say anything. What good's it gonna do?" Andrea asks.

"Andrea, we think more people might get hurt. We think something's happening out there." Sam says.

"My husband, the others, they just drowned. That's all." Andrea says.

"Okay, and if you fully, 100%, without a doubt believe that -- then we'll leave. But if there is even just the smallest sliver of doubt... I think he should talk to Lucas." Natalie says.