038. new power

It's the middle of the night and Sam looks over at the other bed, his siblings and niece all fast asleep. Sam carefully picks Libby up, cradling her to his chest. He drapes her jacket over her, putting the hood up so the rain doesn't get her. He grabs his bag and hers, putting them over his shoulder.

Sam quietly leaves the room and walks to the car next to the Impala. He looks around before pulling a coat hanger out and breaking into the car with it. Sam carefully puts Libby in the backseat and buckling her up before he gets in the driver's seat and driving off.

+++

Sam walks into the roadhouse and is holding Libby. Most people's, if not everybody's, attention turns to them when Sam walks in. Libby cowers into Sam as he walks around, going to the bar where Ellen is.

"Sam. Libby." Ellen greets.

"Hey, Ellen." Sam grins sheepishly. Libby waves at Ellen who gives her a small smile. "You don't seem that surprised to see us."

"Well, your siblings' been calling, worried sick, looking for you." Ellen says.

"Yeah. Figured they might." Sam says.

"What's going on between you three?" Ellen asks.

"So, um, how's everybody? You know, uh, Jo, Jacob... Larissa?" Sam changes the subject, avoiding the question.

"Well, I don't really know." Ellen answers.

"What do you mean?" Sam asks.

"Well, I haven't seen them in weeks. She sends a postcard now and again. Rissa tries to call about once a week. Jacob calls a little more frequently, so, I guess he's fine."

"Well, what happened?"

"Well, after they worked that job with you boys, they all decided they wanted to keep on hunting. I said "not under my roof," and they said "fine.""

"So I'm probably the last person you want to see right now."

"Oh, don't get me wrong. I wish I could blame the hell out of you kids. It'd be easier. Truth is, it's not your fault, Sam. None of it is. I want you to know that I forgave your daddy a long time ago for what happened to my Bill. I just don't think he ever forgave himself."

"What did happen?"

"Um, so, why did you come here, sweetie?" Ellen changes the subject.

"I need help." Sam states.

~ ~ ~

"What am I looking for, Sam?" Ash asks.

"Other people, other psychics, like me. As many as possible, and I need a nationwide search." Sam demands.

"But I thought there was no way to track them all down. Not all of them had nursery fires like you did." Ellen says.

"Well, no, but some had to. Start there." Sam says.

~ ~ ~

Sam sits at the bar, drinking a beer and Libby is on his lap, eating a plate of french fries and she has a glass of water.

Ash walks out with a piece of paper in hand.

"Done and done." Ash states.

"That was fast." Sam says.

"Well, apparently, that's my job. Make the monkey dance at the keyboard." Ash says.

"Just tell us what you got, Ash." Ellen says.

"Four folks fit the profile nationwide. Born in '83, mother died in a nursery fire, the whole shebang." Ash says.

"Four? That's it?" Sam asks.