087. all hell breaks loose

"Sam? Your head in the game here?" Ruby asks.

"I'm good. Let's go." Sam says.

"You okay?" She asks.

"I just said I was." Sam says.

"Look, I know hand holding really isn't my thing... but still, Dean and Nat were wrong, about what they said to you."

"No, they were right to say it. I mean, I don't blame them after what I did."

"Well, after we're done, you guys will patch things up. I mean, you always do."

"You're talking like I've got an after."

"Don't say that."

"I can feel it inside me, Ruby. I've changed... for good. And there's no going back now."

"Sam--"

"Look, I know what I gotta do. It's okay, I'm just saying, Dean and Nat are better off as far away from me as possible. Same with-- with Ophi and Lissy and Jacob, Bobby. Anyways... doesn't matter. Let's just get this done with."

+++

"Dean? Dean!" Bobby calls. "You listen to a word I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you. I'm not calling him." Dean says. Natalie quietly sighs from where she sits, holding an ice pack and alternating it between her face and her throat every few minutes.

"Don't make me get my gun, boy." Bobby sneers.

"We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon, don't you think we got bigger fish at the moment?" Dean asks.

"I know you're pissed. And I'm not making apologies for what he's done, but he's your--"

"Blood? He's my blood. Is that what you were gonna say?" Dean asks.

"He's your brother. And he's drowning." Bobby says.

"Bobby, I tried to help him, I did. Look what happened."

"Fighting isn't helping him." Natalie says.

"Says the one who went off on him being a shitty father." Dean remarks.

"So try again." Bobby says.

"It's too late." Dean says.

"There's no such thing." Bobby says.

"No, damn it! No. I gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted part of this family. He hated this life growing up. Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like deja vu all over again. Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants."

"No." Natalie shakes her head, her voice cracking. "No, he's not running. He is being forced out. First by dad and now by you. The only thing different is he has a kid with him. And it's not fair to him. He didn't ask to be cut off when he was 18, he didn't ask to not have you be there for him when he's going through whatever the fuck he is right now."

"Yeah, well, you're so supportive, you call him." Dean says.

"I tried. I did call him." Natalie says, walking over to her brother. "He obviously didn't pick up cause he thinks we both hate him."

"Oh, yeah? So explain him tossing you in the fucking closet!" Dean shouts.

"Wait, he what?" Jacob questions, the others not having gotten the full story.

"He--" Natalie sighs, struggling with an answer. "He-- he didn't mean it. He wouldn't do that. It was... it was a rash, heat of the moment and I'm sure he regrets it." She says, though she isn't sure if she's trying to convince them or herself more.