037. croatoan

"Continue on O-R two-two-four west." The GPS on Sam's phone says as Dean drives the Impala.

"There are only two towns in the US named Rivergrove." Sam says.

"How come you're so sure it's the one in Oregon?" Dean asks.

"There was a picture. Crater Lake." Sam says.

"Okay, what else?" Dean asks.

"I saw a dark room, some people, and a guy tied to a chair." Sam explains.

"And I ventilated him?"

"Yeah. You thought there was something inside him."

"What, a demon? Was he possessed?"

"I don't know."

"Well, all your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow Eyed Demon somehow... so was there any black smoke? Did we try to exorcise it?"

"No. Nothing, you just plugged him, that's it."

"Well, I'm sure I had a good reason."

"I sure hope so."

"What does that mean?" Dean asks but Sam doesn't answer. "I mean, I'm not gonna waste an innocent man." He says and Sam raises his eyebrows. He glances back at Natalie who tries to ignore him, but he catches the doubtful look in her eyes. "I wouldn't!"

"I never said you would!" Sam exclaims.

"Fine."

"Fine. Look, we don't know what it is. But whatever it is, that guy in the chair's a part of it. So let's find him, and see what's what." Sam says.

"Fine." Dean says.

"Fine." Sam repeats.

+++

They're in the town and walk up to a guy who's sitting outside of a store and cleaning a rifle. They talked to a guy about whoever Sam saw in his vision and are now going to the family's house.

Sam stops at a telephone pole.

"Hey." Sam calls, getting his siblings attention and they walk over, Ophelia's hand clasped with her dad's.

"Croatoan?" Dean asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods, but sees his siblings' lost look. "Roanoke? Lost colony? Ring a bell? Did you two pay any attention in history class?"

"No." Natalie shakes her head.

"Yeah. Shots heard 'round the world, how bills becomes laws." Dean says.

"That's not school, that's Schoolhouse Rock." Sam says.

"Whatever." Dean says.

"Roanoke was one of the first English colonies in America, late 1500s." Sam informs.

"Oh, yeah." Natalie mumbles.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, I do remember that. The only thing they left behind was a single word carved in a tree. Croatoan." Dean says.

"Yeah. And I mean, there were theories — Indian raid, disease, but nobody knows what really happened. They were just all gone. I mean, wiped out overnight." Sam says.

"You don't think that's what's going on here, I mean..." Dean says.

"Whatever I saw in my head, it sure wasn't good. But what do you think could do that?" Sam asks.

"Well, I mean, like I said, all of your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow Eyed demon somehow, so.." Dean says.

"We should get help. Bobby, uh, Ellen maybe?" Sam asks.