083. books

The five walk into the comic book shop and walk up to the man behind the counter.

"Uh... can I help you?" The man asks.

"Sure hope so. FBI." Dean says as they show him their badges. "Just need to ask you a few questions."

"Notice anything strange in the building, last couple of days?" Sam asks.

"Like what?" The man asks.

"Well, some other tenants reported flickering lights." Dean says.

"Uh, I don't think so. Why?" The man asks.

"What about noises? Any skittering in the walls? Kind of like rats?" Natalie asks.

"And the FBI is investigating a rodent problem?" The man asks, skeptical.

"What about cold spots? Feel any sudden drops in temperature?" Jacob asks.

"I knew it!" The man grins. "You guys are LARPing, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?" Dean asks.

"La-- what?" Natalie asks.

"You're fans." The man says.

"Fans of what?" The twins ask.

"What is "LARPing"?" Dean asks.

"Like you don't know." The man says. "Live action roleplaying! And pretty hardcore, too."

"I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about." Dean says.

"You're asking questions like the building's haunted. Like those guys from the books. What are they called? Uh... "Supernatural." Two guys, one chick, use fake IDs with rock aliases, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names? Uh... Steve and Dirk and Nancy? Uh, Sal and Dane and Nora?"

"Sam, Dean, and Natalie?" Sam asks.

"That's it!" The man says. "And-- and you two are, um... Lucy and Jonathan?"

"Larissa and Jacob?" Larissa asks.

"Yep! That's it." The man points at her.

"You're saying this is a book?" Dean asks.

"Books. It was a series. Didn't sell a lot of copies, though. Kind of had more of an underground cult following." The man walks over to a table that's labeled "Bargain Bin" and the five follow him.

"Let's see. Um... ah. Yeah." He hands Dean a book. "That's the first one, I think."

""Supernatural" by Carver Edlund." Dean flips the book over, reading the back of it. ""Along a lonely California highway, a mysterious woman in white lures men to their deaths.""

"Give me that." Sam snatches the book. "We're gonna need all the copies of "Supernatural" you've got." He tells the man.

+++

They're in the motel, and Sam is on his laptop while the others are reading the books, and the girls are coloring.

"This is fuckin' insane. How's this guy know all this stuff?" Dean asks.

"You got me." Sam mutters.

"Everything is in here. I mean everything. From the racist truck to-- to me having sex. I'm full frontal in here, dudes." He says.

"Remind me not to touch that book. Also, um, speaking of... don't-- don't read the book where we close the gates of Hell. Or... just any of these ones." Natalie says, motioning to the small pile next to her.

"Wh-- oh. Ew!" Dean grimaces. "God." He rubs his temples.

"Why can't he read it? Can we read it?" Libby asks.