011. shapeshifter

"All right, I figured we'd hit Tucumcari by lunch, then head south, hit Bisbee by midnight." Dean says, but Sam doesn't respond. "Sam wears women's underwear." Ophelia giggles at her dad's joke.

"I've been listenin', I'm just busy." Sam says.

"Busy doin' what?" Dean asks.

"Reading emails." Sam says. Dean gets out of the car, starting to fill the car up with gas.

"Emails from who?" Dean asks.

"From my friends at Stanford." Sam says.

"You're kidding. You still keep in touch with your college buddies?"

"Why not?"

"Well, what exactly do you tell them? You know, about where you've been, what you've been doin'?"

"I tell 'em that Libs, Nat, and I are on a road trip with our brother and niece. I tell 'em we needed some time off after Jess and Noah."

"Oh, so you lie to 'em."

"No. I just don't tell 'em... everything."

"Yeah, that's called lying. I mean, hey, man, I get it, tellin' the truth is far worse."

"So, what am I supposed to do, just cut everybody out of my life?" Dean shrugs. "You're serious?"

"Look, it sucks, but in a job like this, you can't get close to people, period." Dean says.

"You're kind of anti-social, you know that?" Sam asks.

"He doesn't like anybody." Ophelia says.

"You don't say." Natalie remarks.

"I do say." Ophelia says, missing the sarcasm.

"I-- yeah, sweetie, I-- yeah. You do." Natalie pats her on the knee.

"God..." Sam mutters.

"What?" Dean asks.

"In this email from this girl, Rebecca Warren, one of those friends of mine." Sam says.

"Is she hot?" Dean asks. Natalie rolls her eyes.

"I went to school with her and her brother, Zack. She says Zack's been charged with murder. He's been arrested for killing his girlfriend. Rebecca says he didn't do it, but it sounds like the cops have a pretty good case." Sam says.

"Dude, what kind of people are you hangin' out with?'

"no, man, I know Zack. He's no killer."

"Well, maybe you know Zack as well as he knows you."

"They're in St. Louis. We're goin'."

"Look, sorry 'bout your buddy, okay? But this does not sound like our kind of problem."

"It is our problem. They're my friends."

"It sounds like your problem." Ophelia comments.

"Damn, she's cold." Natalie says.

"St. Louis is 400 miles behind us, Sam." Dean says. Sam gives him puppy dog eyes, Natalie even leaning forward to do so. Natalie secretly motions for Ophelia to do the same.

"Please, daddy. It's important to them." Ophelia says, giving her dad puppy dog eyes.

"Jesus." Dean grumbles, not able to take that much. "Fine."

+++

They get to the house and Sam rings the doorbell, Rebecca answering it.

"Oh, my God, Sam!" She grins.