058. ghost ship

"So, I've been waiting since Maple Springs. You got something to tell me?" Dean asks his brother.

"It's not your birthday." Sam says.

"No." Dean says.

"Happy Purim?" Sam asks and laughs. "Dude, I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about--"

"There's a bullet missing from the colt. You want to tell me how that happened? I know it wasn't me. Natty said it wasn't her. Jacob and Larissa are clueless. Oph and Libs don't even know how to shoot one so they know not to touch it and that's one rule that Ophelia won't break. So unless you were shooting at some incredibly evil cans..."

"Dean..."

"You went after her, didn't you? The crossroads demons. After I told you not to."

"Yeah, well--"

"You could've gotten yourself killed!"

"I didn't."

"And you shot her."

"She was a smartass!"

"So, what? Does that-- does that mean I'm out of my deal?"

"Don't you think I might have mentioned that little fact, Dean? No. Someone else holds the contract."

"Who?"

"She wouldn't say."

"Well, we should find out who. Of course, our best lead would be the crossroads demon. Oh, wait a minute..."

"That's not funny."

"No, it's not! It was a stupid fucking risk and you shouldn't have done it."

"I shouldn't have done it? You're my brother, Dean. And no matter what you do, I'm gonna try and save you. And I'm sure as hell not gonna apologize for it, all right?"

+++

"But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives." Gert tells the five.

"Right, yes. But, see, we're with the sheriff's department, not the police department -- different departments." Dean says.

"So, Mrs. Case--" Sam starts.

"Please. Ms. Case." She tells him.

"Okay. Um, Ms. Case, um... you were the one who found your niece, correct?" Sam asks.

"I came home, she was in the shower." Gert says.

"Drowned?" Sam asks.

"So the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?" Gert asks.

"How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death? I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary or...?" Sam asks.

"Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?" Gert asks.

"Yep. Absolutely. That's--" Dean laughs. "Alex and us, we're like this." He crosses his fingers.

"Why didn't you say so? Alex has been such a comfort. But I'm sorry. I thought the case was solved." Gert says.

"Uh... well, no. No, not yet." Sam says.

"I see." Gert says.

"So, anyways, we were talking about your niece." Sam says.

"Well, yes. Sheila mentioned something quite strange before she died. She said she saw a boat." Gert says.

"A boat?" Dean asks.

"Yes. One minute it was there, then it was gone. It just disappeared right before her eyes. You think it could be a... ghost ship?" Gert asks. "Alex thinks it could be a ghost ship."