029. the roadhouse

It's been one week since John died and they've been staying with Bobby in the meantime. Sam and Dean seem to be taking his death harder than Natalie and the girls.

Libby doesn't really have a relationship with John, only really being around him recently.

Ophelia isn't super upset that John's gone, which makes her feel bad, especially when she sees how much it's affecting her dad. She wants to help him, but she doesn't know what to do.

Dean hasn't really talked to anybody the whole week, spending all of his time working on the Impala. When he's not doing that, he's sleeping. Dean really only just says goodnight to Ophelia and that's the most she ever sees him.

Given this, they haven't talked about the whole psychic thing yet. Ophelia thinks that part of this is avoidance of Dean not wanting to talk about it.

Natalie isn't upset that her dad's dead, but she's not as thrilled as she actually thought she would be. Some part of her is actually sad that he's gone and she thinks it's the innocent little girl part of her that just wants some sort of happy family.

Bobby usually takes Ophelia and Libby out to eat, mostly just to get them out of the house and away from the gloomy atmosphere that's taken over his house.

Natalie is sitting on the couch and Bobby walks in.

"Where're the girls?" Natalie asks.

"Upstairs, playing something about MASH or something." Bobby says and Natalie softly chuckles. "How you holding up, kiddo?"

"I don't know." Natalie says. "You know, I... I thought I wouldn't care. Or that-- that I'd be happy that he's... that he's dead. Which sounds cold, but after everything he's done... but part of me, just... I'm sad. Or-or maybe not sad, but something. And I just... I don't know."

"It's all right to be confused. You're only human. Whether he was a piece of shit or not, he was still your daddy."

"Yeah, but he hated me, and I knew that. And I hated him. Or at least, I thought I did. But... I don't know and it's pissing me off."

"Look, he wasn't a good guy. And feelings are... you know, complicated and all that jazz." Bobby sighs. "It's okay to feel some grief, sweet pea. Maybe you don't have good memories of him, but maybe you do."

"I don't." Natalie confirms.

"All right. But you still grew up with him in your life... even if that was him just hurtin' ya all the damn time. Whether we like people or not, if we still know and the people we don't like, but maybe were supposed to like cause they were related or something, it... it makes them dying confusing. Makes the grief process even more complicated."

"Well, it sucks."

"Can't argue with that. Nobody can tell you how to feel, Nat. You feel sad? That's fine. You don't care? That's fine. It's your feelings, your relationship with your daddy, your grief process. Don't matter what either of your brothers try to tell ya. If Dean's a dick about it, lemme know, I'll knock some sense into him."

"And if Sam's a dick about it?"

"Same thing. That's just less likely."

+++

Dean is currently under his car while working on it and only his legs are visible and Sam walks over.

"How's the car coming along?" Sam asks.

"Slow." Dean answers.

"Yeah? Need any help?" Sam asks.

"What, you under a hood? I'll pass." Dean says.