016. scarecrows and hitchhiking

Sam and Dean finished the asylum case a few hours ago and now the five Winchesters are all asleep and in the motel. Dean and Ophelia are in one bed and Ophelia is cuddling into her dad's chest and Dean keeps a protective arm around her.

Sam, Libby, and Natalie are on the other bed. Natalie is lying on her side with her back to Sam and he's lying on his stomach and Libby is on his chest.

Sam wakes up to a phone ringing. He glances around and sees that it's Dean's.

"Dean." Sam gently calls, not wanting to wake the girls up. However, Dean doesn't budge, still asleep. Sam sighs, reaching out and grabbing the phone. He looks at the unknown number before answering it, "Hello?"

"Sam, is that you?" John's voice comes through. Sam sits up, keeping an arm around Libby so she doesn't fall back.

"Dad?" Sam asks. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." John says.

"Sweepy time, daddy." Libby tiredly mumbles, trying to cuddle into her father's chest more, not ready to wake up just yet.

"We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay." Sam says.

"Sammy, I'm all right. What about you and Dean?" John asks.

"We're fine. So are Natty and your granddaughters." Sam says with a short tone.

"Dad, where are you?" Sam asks.

"Sorry, kiddo, I can't tell you that." John says.

"What? Why not?" Sam asks.

"Is that dad?" Dean asks, sitting up, letting go of Ophelia. The girl moves around, frowning at the lack of warmth her dad was providing.

"Look, I know this is hard for you to understand. You're just gonna have to trust me on this." John says.

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed mom." Sam says.

"Yeah. It's a demon, Sam." John says.

"A demon? You know for sure?" Sam asks.

"A demon? What's he saying?" Dean asks while slipping his shirt on.

"I'm saying that both of you should shut up." Natalie groans, trying to get back to sleep.

"I do. Listen, Sammy, I, uh... I also know what happened to your girlfriend... and Natalie's guy. I'm so sorry. I would've done anything to protect you from that." John tells him.

"You know where it is?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I think I'm finally closing in on it." John says.

"Let us help."

"You can't. You can't be any part of it."

"Why not?"

"Give me the phone." Dean orders. Ophelia climbs into Dean's lap, curling into his chest, one of his arms instinctively wrapping around her to keep her from falling and he holds his other hand out to Sam for the phone.

"Listen, Sammy, that's why I'm calling. You and your brother, you gotta stop looking for me. All right, now, I need you to write down these names." John says.

"Names? What names? Dad, talk to me, tell me what's going on." Sam says. Libby huffs at her dad not going back to sleep. She climbs off his lap and clumsily climbs over her aunt and cuddles into Natalie's chest.

Natalie covers Libby up, wrapping an arm around her, both trying to fall back asleep.

"Look, we don't have time for this. This is bigger than you think, they're everywhere. Even us talking right now, it's not safe." John says.