030. "i will never hate you."

"You've gotta be kidding me. Killer clown?" Dean asks as he drives.

"Yeah. He left the daughter unharmed and killed the parents. Ripped them to pieces, actually." Sam says.

"A reverse Pennywise move." Natalie comments.

"And this family was at some carnival that night?" He asks Sam.

"Right, right. The, uh, Cooper Carnivals." Sam says.

"So, how do you know we're not dealing with some psycho in a clown suit?" Dean asks.

"Well, the cops have no viable leads, and all the employees were tearing down shop. Alibis all around. Plus this girl said she saw a clown vanish into thin air. Cops are saying trauma, of course." Sam says.

"Well, I know what you're thinking, Sam. Why did it have to be clowns?" Dean smirks as Natalie laughs.

"Oh, give me a break." Sam says.

"You didn't think I'd remember, did you? What only Natty knew? I mean, come on, you still bust out crying whenever you see Ronald McDonald on the television." Dean teases.

"Well, at least I'm not afraid of flying." Sam retorts.

"Planes crash!" Dean defends.

"And apparently clowns kill!" Sam counters. They both glance back at Natalie.

"Bugs bites! And sting!" She declares.

"Bugs are more annoying than they are scary, but that's no reason to invalidate her fear." Ophelia says. "And clowns are freaky."

"What, because planes are so nice?" Dean asks.

"Well, supposedly, they're the safest way to travel." Ophelia says. "At least if there's not a demon or something on the plane."

"So these types of murders, they ever happen before?" Dean asks.

"Uh, according to the file, 1981, the Bunker Brothers Circus, same M.O. It happened three times, three different locales." Sam says.

"It's weird, though, I mean, if it is a spirit, it's usually bound to a specific locale, you know, a house or a town." Dean says.

"So how's this one moving from city to city, carnival to carnival?" Sam questions.

"Cursed object, maybe. Spirit attaches itself to something and the, uh, carnival carries it around with them." Dean says.

"Great. Paranormal scavenger hunt." Sam says.

"Fun." Natalie mumbles.

"Well, this case was your idea." Dean tells his brother. "By the way, why is that? You were awfully quick to jump on this job."

"So?" Sam asks.

"It's just... not like you, that's all. I thought you were hell bent for leather on the demon hunt." Dean says.

"I don't know, I just think, this job, it's what dad would have wanted us to do." Sam says.

"Oh, God." Natalie rolls her eyes.

"What dad would have wanted?" Dean echoes.

"Yeah. So?" Sam asks.

"Nothin'." Dean shrugs.

"Nothing? What?" Natalie looks between the two. "Did we enter a parallel universe after dad died?" She asks. "Since when do you give a shit?"

"Since he died." Sam says.

"He was a dick, Sam." Natalie says. "We shouldn't care." Natalie says.

"It's complicated, Nat." Sam says.