Talks with Anastasia

Contrary to everyone's expectations, Anastasia seemed to be striking a preemptive blow. The atmosphere in the Water Plumage Pavilion tensed.

Emilia: Thanks for welcoming us in person, it really makes me feel at ease.

Coming out to meet Emilia was certainly calculated. While Subaru was lost in thought, a slightly confused Emilia voiced a reply, grabbing his attention.

Anastasia cast a frown at Subaru, probably pondering the origins of Garfiel, who was standing next to him, and Beatrice, who was clinging to his sleeve along with Zuri and Iris who stood next to Mamoru. Subaru, having spent many days frolicking with them in the mansion, was steadied by their presence.

Anastasia: The same face as always.

Her gaze left Subaru for Emilia as she murmured to herself, her light green eyes bearing a hint of ridicule. Her relationship with Emilia had changed little in the year past; a small conflict between them wasn't unexpected.

Subaru: Well, she's just as cute as... no, she's even cuter than before.

Mamoru: Please stop calling girls cute they won't give you the time of day.

Hearing his response, Subaru rubbed his nose with an air of awkwardness, noting that Beatrice was paying close attention to the proceedings. The corners of Anastasia's mouth lifted in a faint smile.

Anastasia: Natsuki-kun, I heard that after the subjugation of the White Whale things went a bit awry. Are Roswaal's border territories doing well?

Subaru: Sorry you had to catch such unpleasant news. Thanks to your troops, we survived the aftermath. As companions, we'll mutually support each other, right?

Anastasia: Is that so? I'm glad you think so, too. The two of us were glad you could come. It's been a while since you've seen Julius, yes?

Anastasia clapped her hands together, taking an opportunity to tease Subaru, who immediately caught on and frowned. Emilia and Anastasia laughed simultaneously, as Subaru grew uncomfortable, thinking that neither of them understood his complex relationship with Julius. He'd tried to explain it over and over to Emilia, but each attempt inevitably ended in failure. Honestly the only person who understood it was Mamoru, but he had a tendancy to mutter something about murdering Julius, so it made him unsure if it was just pure hate that drove Mamoru to "get" his relationship with Julius.

Garfiel: Ah...'s bit strange. Guess the woman's one of Emilia-sama's enemies?

The previously silent Garfiel voiced a question, making no attempt to conceal his hostility. Subaru scratched his head in helpless embarrassment, and Anastasia's round eyes grew rounder.

Emilia: Garfiel, you're not wrong, but you're putting it in a pretty extreme way. After all, weren't we invited here?

Garfiel: Yah but still, won't ya hav't stab each other in the back one day? Th's gonna sting after acting all buddy-buddy.

Emilia: That's true. Garfiel's a gentle person, so I'm worried about that...

Garfiel: -hk! Who's gentle! What're ya talkin' bout, Emilia-sama!

As expected of him, Garfiel hurriedly tried to deflect Emilia's words. Anastasia eyed him curiously, wondering why he seemed so embarrassed, when,

???: Ah! Garf is here! Miss, why didn't you tell me!?

The wooden door of the inn was flung open with a bang. The racket was caused by Mimi, a catgirl whose lovely face shone brightly as she saw her audience. She flew into the room and surprised everyone by firmly grasping Garfiel's arm.