34.

Emma
As soon as Colby called me, I was excited to talk to him but when his voice was lowered and his voice demeanor had changed, I knew something was definitely wrong. After Colby broke the news to me that my best friend was in the hospital, I was terrified and I rushed myself out from my workplace just to check on her.

"Fuck!"

I made a quick U-Turn into the hospital's parking lot and finally found a place to park my car after struggling for ten minutes. After locking my car, I stormed into the hospital and demanded to see Chloe.

"Excuse me, miss. How may we help you?"

"My name is Emma Wilson and I need to visit Chloe Levine?"

"We're not taking any visitors in her room at this time."

"I'm her best friend; her sister!"

"It depends if they're finished..."

"Finished with what, exactly?"

"She was involved with a tragic injury and she's been undergoing surgery for the last few hours."

"Can you please let me in?"

"I'm afraid I cannot."

While I was arguing with the woman in the front office, I heard a familiar voice emerge.

"Let her come in."

"Joe! How is she?"

His eyes closed for a brief moment, "She's alright, but she's finally out of surgery and she's gonna survive this."

"Survive what? What the fuck happened to her, Joe?"

"Listen, I'll explain to you outside."

"Alright." I sighed.

"Follow me outside."

We walked outside of the hospital for a moment and he brought me to a secluded area and reeled me into a hug.

"Emma. I don't know how you're going to process this, but Chloe almost died because somebody hired a hitman to kill us and not just that, but she jumped in front of the hitman's gun and he shot her instead of me. Her wounds were fatal and she almost developed Hypervolemia due to the excessive blood loss." Joe sighed, "Your best friend tried to save my life and I love her so much."

"I...I have no words, Joe." I replied, feeling defeated and looking down at the ground.

"The good news is that she's gonna be okay. I thought she was dead after I killed that hitman."

"You killed him?"

"Damn right I killed his ass." He huffed, "Once I find out who hired the hitman, I'm going after them too."

"Honestly, I'm liking this Mafia Boss version of you, Joe. Or better yet...Mafia Boss Reigns."

"Ha-Ha." Joe playfully rolled his eyes, "I appreciate the little nickname, Emma, but I'm still worried about Chloe's condition. I know that she'll survive, but..."

"Joe, I promise that Chloe's gonna fight through this and you two will be the cutest couple ever!"

"Thank you." He smiled and paused, "Emma, can you keep a little secret for me?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"I know that Chloe and I haven't been together for a very long time, but I see a future with this woman and she makes me the happiest man in the world and I..."

I interrupted him, "Oh my gosh, are you planning to propose?"

He shook his head, "No, not yet. What I'm saying is, I hope that she'd want to start a family with me someday."