46.

"How are you feeling, buddy?" I asked Zeus as he laid down beside me.

His head began to look upwards at me with concern in his eyes. He whimpered, still feeling the pain throughout his injured paw after giving him the medicine the veterinarian prescribed him.

"It's okay, Zeus. Chloe and I will take good care of you. Whoever hurt you will get what they deserve if I ever find them."

I leaned my hand out and slowly petted his head. Zeus was such a loving and gentle puppy. He was more than grateful to find a loving home like ours and I couldn't be anymore happier that he chose both Chloe and I to take care of him.

Suddenly, he fell asleep on the side of the couch. The medicine we've been giving him makes him fall asleep within thirty minutes.

While Zeus fell asleep on the couch, Chloe came into the room with a cup of coffee in her hand

"How's he feeling, babe?"

I shook my head, "He's fine, I'm just pissed off that someone abused him. I mean, look at him, he's so gentle and affectionate; I don't understand who could do something like this to an innocent puppy."

"I'm mad about that too, Joe, and whoever did will get their karma sooner or later."

"They better." I replied with my eyebrows beginning to furrow.

We turned on the TV and started to watch a few movies together while the puppy was asleep. After a few hours came and went, we took Zeus and laid him down on our bed.

"He looks adorable sleeping in our bed, doesn't he?"

She crooked a smile, "He really does. He's like our little baby."

We laid back in the bed in silence for the past few minutes and I moved my head over to glance at her face, "Chloe?"

"Yeah?"

"Look, Chloe." I said, sitting up in the bed and my voice slightly deepens, "I know you're wanting to pursue a career in Victoria's Secret, but whenever you're ready, would you want to try for a baby in the near future? Only when you're willing and ready for that."

She smiled, "Of course, Joe! I'm not ready for a baby at the moment, but I'd love to have one with you someday."

Then her smile began to fade.

"Are you okay?"

She nods, "Yeah! I'm just...Overthinking."

"Overthinking about what? You can talk to me, babe."

She then lets a small sigh escape from her mouth, "Imagine I'm pregnant and our ex's are still lurking around. What if they caused bodily harm to me one day and then we lost the baby?"

"Shit, I never thought about that. I don't wanna get you pregnant at the wrong time and I wouldn't want them to also be roaming around the area with you carrying our child."