94.

Joe
After Chloe, Alani, and my cousins left the hospital, I was already beginning to miss everyone while I fell asleep for the night in attempt to heal from the injuries. Upon waking up a few hours later, the hospital room felt so empty and chilly.

I glanced around the room for a few seconds and was still shocked that I survived a few bullets to my upper body. It was godsend that I survived such a painful experience.

While stuck in my trance, the door opened and a nurse approached me with a smile on her face, handing me a tray with the finest delicacies and a cup of orange juice on the side.

"Joe, we have your dinner right here."

I winced in pain and looked up at the nurse, "Thank you."

I attempted to sit up and shockingly enough, I managed to move my upper body without feeling a sharp pain emerge all throughout my body. I picked up the fork and started eating my dinner for the night.

"Hey, nurse? Is there an estimated time when I'll be able to be discharged from the hospital?" I asked.

She shook her head, "I'm unsure, Joe. With the way you're making huge improvements within almost two days of your surgery, maybe in a week at the most; although that's just my opinion."

"I appreciate that, ma'am."

"Of course! I'm sure what you went through was terrifying."

"In a way, it was." I paused, fiddling around with my fork and staring down at my remaining food, "All I was doing was trying to protect my family. I have a wife and daughter back at home and these people that I've never met started to gang-up on me. And before I knew it, I was shot. At first, I swore I was dead after I felt bullets piercing throughout my upper body. I never experienced such pain in my life."

"Honestly, we thought you were on the verge of death, too." She paused, "Look, I know you're still processing everything that's happened; but once you're feeling confident enough to leave the hospital and your ribs are feeling back to normal, you'll be able to head back home and return to your normal routine like before."

"You're right. I'm still processing everything when it comes to being shot in the chest, and then undergoing massive surgery; not only that, but almost dying in front of my wife - I still feel horrible for making her go through that."

"Joe, I know I'm only your nurse for such a short amount of time; but don't let those negative thoughts about the situation consume you. I can very much tell that you're an amazing man, with such a beautiful family. Once you're starting to stand up without an issue, you'll be able to return back home like nothing happened."

"Yeah, but do you think that I'll get better in a week or so like you said? I'm not trying to bombard you with questions, it's just a concern."

"I believe so." She nods, "You're already making massive improvements after almost two days, and I don't think you'll be staying here for another few days at this rate."

"To tell you the truth, I think that my ribs are bruised because they don't feel broken."

"In that case, can you attempt to stand up for me, Joe?"

"It's been awhile ever since I stood up on my own two feet. I guess I can try and see what happens from there."

I moved the dinner tray out of the way and then clutched onto the railing of the hospital bed while having some assistance from the nurse. I was still experiencing pains shooting back and forth throughout my ribs, but they didn't feel broken like the doctors said. Maybe I just had bruised ribs, after all.

"There you go, Joe!" The nurse smiled, "Try to stand a little more still and straight."

I attempted to stand in a straight position and I already started feeling some relief, and then a small ounce of pain. I winced at the feeling and the nurse immediately made me lay back in the bed and rest for awhile.

"You did amazing, Joe. It's almost midnight and I need you to get your rest so we can continue to check you out and make sure that you're improving."

"Thank you so much." I smiled, "I'd love to keep doing these small excercises. I think it's actually helping me in a way because laying on my ass isn't gonna help me heal." I laughed.

"Then we will continue to do so!"

The nurse then walked out of the room and there I laid, back in the hospital bed and feeling lonesome once more. I reached my arm out towards the television remote and turned it to the sports channel while I caught up on some football and attempted to fall back asleep.

I missed Chloe and Alani so much tonight. What I'd give just to be back at home right now instead of being inside of a crappy hospital room.

Chloe
After Joe's cousins brought Alani and I back home, I started missing Joe almost instantly. The house felt so empty without his presence and it was enough to make Zeus worry, too. While I was taking Alani to bed for the night, I happened to notice Josh was standing near the door.

"Hey Chloe? Do you have a minute?" Josh asked.

"Yeah." I replied, laying Alani down inside of her crib, "What's up, Josh?"

I stepped out of Alani's bedroom and Josh stood there with a concerned look that was written all over his face.

"Are you okay? I mean, you've been a little silent ever since we brought you back home and I was starting to worry."

"I'm alright. I'm still processing everything that's happened recently."

"I understand." He smiled whilst wrapping his arms around me, "Listen, I know you're stressed about everything, but our cousin will do everything in his power to get out of the hospital. We all know how much you love him."

"I really do. I just couldn't believe that we almost lost him all because of the Dante's henchmen."

"That ain't right, Chloe." Josh shook his head, "I don't see why they were suddenly coming after you and Joe like that. It doesn't make any sense!"

"I don't understand either, Josh. Emma believes it was Galina or something. Although I don't believe that's a possibility because she's locked away in prison and there's no way she has her phone, nor anyone to contact with."

"But if it happens to be G, I'm coming for her because I'm not gonna have some bitch coming around and harassing my 'cuz and his wife like that."

I chuckled, "I'll be honest with you, Josh. You, along with your two brothers, are like brothers to me."

"You think so?"

"I know so. I never had any siblings growing up and my parents were murdered when I was only a little girl. I don't remember much of my parents, but you three are like the brothers I've never had until now."

"You know we got your back. You love our cousin, and we love you like family."

Josh brought me into his embrace and then Jonathan broke the silence as he entered the room, "Uce, what's happening?"

"Chloe and I were just talking about something."

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow.

"It's about Emma believing that Galina was behind Dante's henchmen coming out and finding Joe after SmackDown. And another thing, I was just telling Josh and that I consider you and Joseph the brothers I've never had. Just because you three are protective over me and Alani."

"Aye, we're always here for you. It's all love in this family. You married our cousin and even before you two got married, you were automatically family to us." Jonathan said.

"Not just that, but that means we'll make sure that no motherfucker bothers you two ever again; including your daughter." Joseph added.

"I couldn't ask for better people in my life."

"Same here, Chloe."

We all further walked out of the hallway and stood over at the foyer.

"I think we should get going for awhile, Uce." Jonathan says, reeling me into a hug, "We'll miss you, but you can always hit us up and we'll message you back. Let us know how Joe's doing, alright?"

"I'll do that! Thank you."

Jonathan, Josh, and Joseph walked out of the house and drove off to their places for awhile. As for me? I lounged around the house and still worried about Joe while he was still inside of the hospital room.