TO BE LOVED AND TO BE IN LOVE(22)

Charles and Charlotte went to bed, leaving just you and Carlos in the darkness, with the television illuminating the space. You turned to look at each other and smiled. Carlos got up to throw away his coffee cup, and just then, you received a message from Lando.

Lando: What are you doing? I miss you.

You: I'm at Charles' apartment, we watched The Conjuring and he and Charlotte already went to bed *laughing emoji* I miss you too :(

Lando: lol they can't take it, call me tomorrow?

-Is that Lando you're texting? -Carlos said sitting back down beside you, you took your phone away.

-Yeah, he misses me -You smiled looking at your lap.

-I found out that in London he told you he loves you. -You weren't looking at him.

-Yeah, that happened.

-Can I ask you something? I need you to be completely honest with me. -You hated when someone tells you that, you looked at him, worried.

-Of course.

-Are you in love with him?

-I mean, yes, I love him.

-No, are you in love with him? There's a difference, to be loved and to be in love. Like you love your brother but you are not in love with him.

*start listening to Snow On The Beach-TaylorSwift, Lana del Rey*

You had never thought of it that way, and indeed, they were very different things. Perhaps you weren't really in love with Lando but rather with the idea of him. You felt a knot in your stomach, not wanting to tell him the truth.

-That's a weird example. -You laughed.

-Don't change the subject, don't try to be funny right now. -His face was serious and he wasn't taking his eyes off of you.

-You want the truth, huh?

-Yes. -He rubbed his hand against his pants, you could tell he was anxious.

-I am not in love with him, I'm in love with someone else. -Carlos, taken aback by your confession, looks at you with a mix of surprise and curiosity. He takes a moment to process your words before responding. -Now you're not saying anything? I don't understand you.

He gently cupped your face and kissed your lips. At first, you were surprised, but you allowed yourself to be carried away by the moment. Time stood still as you felt your bodies floating, as if nothing else mattered, as if it was just you and Carlos in that moment and forever. You ran your hands through his hair that you loved so much, and he placed a hand on your waist, pulling you closer to him. You paused for just a moment, your eyes locked, and you could see a sparkle in his. He pressed his forehead against yours and gave you a softer, tender kiss.

-I love you. -Both of you said at the same time. You laughed at the synchronicity of your words, the moment felt filled with joy. You exchanged a knowing glance, realizing that something big happened. The sound of a message brought you back to reality. You glanced at your phone and saw a notification.

Lando: Y/n?

Lando: Are you there?

Lando: Are you asleep?

-Shit.

-What is it? -He said, gently tucking your hair behind your ear and removing it from your face.

-It's Lando. -You said, standing up from the couch. -Oh my God what have I done? -You started to realize everything that had happened and panicked. Once you snapped back to reality, you felt guilty and upset about what had happened. You took a deep breath and mustered up the courage to address the situation.