~the ski trip~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ski equipment? Check.

Toiletry bag? Check.

Thermal underwear? Check.

You mentally tick off your packing list while loading your friend's car for the annual ski trip in the mountains. The snow trip between Christmas and New Years' has became a beloved tradition and you looked forward to spending a few days in the mountains with your friends, skiing, spending some quality time, and unwinding. It could be so perfect if it weren't for a certain person joining.

Your nemesis. The bane of your existence. Your worst enemy.

Vinnie.

"Does he really need to come, too?" you groan, pushing a weekender into the Jeep's trunk, and Maddy sighs, giving you a warning look.

"Could you just make an effort, please? Can you try and get along with him for the sake of everyone's sanity?"

You puff your cheeks before climbing into the the backseat. "It's not my fault that he-"

"Please, i don't want to heart it," your best friend cuts you off, connecting her phone to Apple CarPlay. "It's always something. He can just breath in your direction and you're annoyed."

"Correct," you respond drily, fastening your seat belt. Ever since Maddy started dating Jordan, his beast friend would tag along to your outings. Whether it was dinner or lunch, and evening at the bar, going out to concerts, or monthly movie nights, Vinnie would tag along. Ruining your mood. Irritating you. And driving you completely nuts.

"Cut him some slack. He's on a busy schedule. Spending time with his friends is important for him," Maddy says in a soft voice and you close your eyes to breath through your nose.

"I don't care about his schedule. Or that he is famous. I just want to enjoy my free time without hearing this..agitating...noise. All the time. Because he is loud and annoying and-" you stop yourself before you can get too mad and Maddy gives you a pointed look over her shoulder.

"Please, just try to not kill each other, okay?"

"Can't make promises," you mutter under your breath, mentally planning to make Vinnie's death look like a ski accident. Those things happen, right?

It's not that you haven't made an effort. You have tried to be nice. You have tried to like him. But it was just not possible. Maybe you started off on the wrong foot, maybe you were just too different. But there were differences in opinions, tastes, in points of view that made the distance between you and Jordan's best friend look like an ocean. You stare out of the window as Jordan start the engine taking in the snowy streets.

"Is Vinnie going to meet us at the cottage?" Maddy asks and only the mention of his name makes the baby hairs on the back of your neck stand up. You would have to calm yourself down or one of you would truly not survive this trip.

"Yeah," Jordan replies, reaching out to hold Maddy's hand while driving. "He'll meet us there. He's flying in from LA."
You press your lips together and try to think of something nice. Something that doesn't include a 5'11 American with curly blonde hair and a chiseled jawline. You could hate him and admit that he was hot. Those things weren't mutually exclusive. But every tiny hint of attraction you have felt towards him had been eliminated the second you got into your first argument. You avoid going done memory lane and adjust your seat belt. You knew how to behave and you would try for the sake of your friends. If this trip would turn into a nightmare it would sure as hell not be your fault.