Chapter 1: Clarke's Match

CLARKE POV

<ping>

Clarke groans as she hears her phone pinging from the bedside table. She glances at her clock and sees it's already 7:00 in the morning. She hates waking up early as she knows that she'll just go straight to work and bore the shit of herself.

Before Clarke has the chance to pick her phone up, her bedroom door springs wide open and an angry Octavia Blake barges in.

Octavia: Clarke, what the hell? You know we have an important meeting later at 8am. What the fuck are you still doing in bed?

Clarke groans.

Clarke: good morning to you too, O. Who gave you the permission to come barging my house? And yes, I know we have a meeting. I always do. So please let me have this silence in my own damn house.

Clarke sits up angrily and walks towards the bathroom. Octavia realizes she crossed a line and immediately apologizes to Clarke.

Octavia: Sorry C. I didn't mean to. I know you're stressed and tired already. It's just that, this is my project and I can't afford to lose this deal. I need the money to support myself.

Clarke stops before entering the bathroom and looks at Octavia looking down as she sits down the bed sighing.

Clarke: I know O. And I also know that you will get this deal done. You're the best closer I have in the company. I'm sorry too, I just wanted longer sleep today. But I'll be ready before the meeting. Meet you downstairs?

Clarke gives Octavia a warm and genuine smile and Octavia nods. As Octavia leaves, Clarke sighs. She know she's drained already but she loves her best friend so much that she understands her situation.

Clarke enters the bathroom for a warm dip in the bathtub as her thoughts reminisce about her life.

Clarke was raised in a low-income family. Her mom is Abby Griffin, a surgeon in Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital. Despite Abby being a surgeon, her income is quite low as she hasn't been getting enough surgeries even though she stays at the hospital longer than she should have. Her dad, Jake Griffin, passed away a few years back with cancer. Since then, Abby became more and more distant with Clarke.

Luckily, Clarke was already a graduate when her dad died. She graduated a double degree of Law and Management, with Art as her minor. She always wanted to paint and draw but with the funds, she needed an idealistic path in order to earn more money to support herself.

When Clarke's dad died, this took a 360 turn. During the funeral, Clarke and Abby was shocked when a 70/80 year-old woman came looking for her.

<throwback>

Woman: Clarke? Clarke Griffin?

Clarke: Yes? Who are you?

Woman: My name is Becca Griffin. Your grandmother