Chapter 44: Expansion

CLARKE POV

It's two days before New Year and I can't wait to go on a trip with Lexa. Since she has a 2-week long break, we decided that I should take a leave as well so we can go for a trip after New Year's. Since I promised that I will plan the trip, I want to surprise her. She keeps on bugging me to tell her where to go so that she knows what to pack. But I already have that handled.

Since I still have two days to be at work, of course I'm dreading to leave the office. Lexa and I haven't talked about living together since we are still new in the relationship. Sometimes I stay at her place, and sometimes she stays at mine. Depending on who goes home first.

Since Lexa is already on break, she's at her place waiting for me to finish work. I wanted to call her just to hear her voice to brighten my day but Ontari came to my office saying that an investor is calling me.

Me: Patch him through Line 2. Thanks Ontari

Ontari nods and I want for the call in my phone. After a few seconds it rings.

Me: Good Morning. This is Clarke Griffin.

Nyko: Good Morning Atty. Griffin. This is Nyko.

Me: Ah, Nyko. It's so nice to hear from you. To what do I owe this call?

Nyko: Oh don't act so coy, CG. I know you've heard about the rumors.

Me: I actually don't. Have you met me, Nyko?

Nyko: You and your busy ass Griff. Anyways, investors in my company is already pulling away and I might declare my company bankrupt.

Me: What?! What happened.

Nyko: You know my mom. She entered into business deals with who knows what and I don't know, she somewhat lost everything. I had to pay them so that I can keep the company. But because of the bad deals, investors and projects are declining. So I lost millions of dollars, and now from the looks of it, my company.

Me: I'm sorry to hear that Nyko. What can I do?

Nyko: I was hoping to sell the company to you, Clarke.

Me: what? I have no intention on transferring to New York, Nyko. LA is my home.

Nyko: I know that, but you can start branching out Grounders. Start here in New York.

Me: And who will manage it? I can't go back and forth New York.

Nyko: Well, I was hoping if you trust me, then I would.

Me: This is an agreement with our lawyers, Nyko. You and I both know not to deal business work over phone.

Nyko: I know, but I'm just giving you something to think about.

Me: Of course, I'll raise this to my team and get back to you.

Nyko: About that, can you maybe come to New York on the 31st? It'll be the last day of the year, and if I don't have investors or buyers of the company, I'll surely lose Ice Corp.

Me: The 31st? Nyko, it's already the 29th!

Nyko: I know. I know. I just found out yesterday, and you're the only one I thought of.