Chapter 10

MADISON'S POV.

I wake up with a jolt. I'm confused at first, realising that I'm not in my usual train car. Sitting up, groggily, I soon remember the events that occurred yesterday. This group saved me, and they don't seem like bad people, although i've only talked to a few of them, I've talked to Maggie, I like her. I think if I had an older sister she would be like Maggie, though I would never tell her that.

I've also talked to Rosita, she stitched my arm for me, Rick and Daryl, I don't know if I like them at all yet, and lastly Carl. He seems seems nice, kind even. He's different to everyone else I've met here. He doesn't look at me like I'm going to jump them at any minute. Not to mention the fact that he pulled Abbie away from the walker that attacked me yesterday. She could've easily been bitten. I don't know what I would have done. She's the reason that I got through each day. I have to be there for her.

Carl seems easy to talk to, and I can tell he gets a little nervous when he talks to me. He fidgets uncomfortably and he's either staring at me with an awkward intensity or he won't meet my eyes at all. I can't make sense of it.

I roll my eyes at myself and sigh because I found that I was nervous when I talked to him too, but I'm not really sure why. I've never been scared to just talk to someone before, but then again, I haven't really had the chance to talk to anyone in the past 8 years.

Okay, I mean, lets just face it, Carl is really good looking too. His eyes make you think you're looking up into the sky, they're that blue, and he has brown hair, just like me. For some reason, I couldn't look away from his lips, he has a full bottom lip and a top lip too skinny to balance them out. A graze decorates the right corner of his top lip.

STOP! Stop it Madison, focus on something else!

I grind my teeth and ball my fists together, angry with myself for finding him so distracting. I can't afford to be distracted.
Silly! This is so silly.
I stand up carefully, trying not to wake anyone up.

I'm the first one awake except for Daryl who watches me from the far corner of the room. They must have been watching us last night, just to be sure we don't kill them in their sleep. Maybe I should've done the same. Just because these people seem nice doesn't mean I should trust them. I try to remember that for later.

Daryl watches me as I walk into what I think is a kitchen. I look around for something to do.
There isn't much.
I walk over to a counter top and below it, there is three rectangular drawers that lie horizontal. I pull one out and I recognize it as a cutlery drawer.

An idea springs to mind as I push my knotty hair from my face.
I look around the drawer and find what i'm looking for. I lift it up, inspecting it.
"What are you doing?" A voice scares me.
I turn towards it. 
It's Maggie.

Daryl stands defensively at her side with his crossbow pointed at me. I freeze.
"What are you gonna do with that?" Maggie asks, pointing to the scissors in my hand.

"You literally watched me wake up and come over here to take this out. You think I was gonna attack you with something you just seen me take out. What's the fun in that?" I say sourly.
Daryl narrows his eyes but drops his crossbow, leaning back into the position he was in before.

I turn back to Maggie who's still waiting for a proper answer.
"I was gonna cut my hair, but I think if I reach up, my stitches will come out."
"I'll help you." she shocks me by saying.

She leads the way to the bathroom without another word and I follow. When I walk into the small bathroom she gestures for me to stand in front of the mirror.