Chapter 24 & 25

CARL'S POV.

I lean against the kitchen counter and chat to Maggie and dad. Of course they wanted to know what Madison and I were talking about as soon as I left her room. Everyone else must be trying to find somewhere to sleep. Judith is sleeping in an actual cot, it used to be Abbie's when she was a baby. I don't think i've ever seen her go to sleep so easily before.

"So what happened with Madison?"
"Not sure." I shrug casually.
"She didn't want to talk about it."
Dad frowns. "Carl! You were supposed to-"
"You were right Dad."
"About what?" He panics.
Of course he would jump to the worst scenario.
"She has a bad temper."
Dad rolls his eyes but Maggie smiles widely.
"I've grown to kinda like that about her." She chuckles.

"She said she'd tell me later. All I know is that whatever happened between her and her mom has really shaken her up. Though, she wouldn't admit it."
"So you didn't find out anything?" Dad asks.
I shake my head.
"Then why were you up there for so long?"
I roll my eyes and avoid Maggie's teasing stare.
"Just small talk dad. Last I saw her she was going into Nicks room to talk to him about their mom. After a while I heard a lot of yelling and smashing, like a fight or something."

"What is it with these kids and all the yelling?" Dad grumbles to himself.
"You don't think he was hitting her, do you?" Maggie exclaims, concern clear on her face.
Dad scoffs. "Believe me, Madison can handle herself. I'd be more worried about the other kid. Looks like somebody could take him out with a fly swatter."

Dad looks at me now.
"Look, I know I said she could stay but this is too shady. There's something not right about this family"
"All families have their baggage. We did." I snap.
His face turns hard.
"Look. Of this shit isn't sorted by the morning then they're gone and I don't mean we go our separate ways. I don't trust them not to follow us. I mean gone gone."

"Rick!" Maggie warns.
"Jesus dad!" I groan. Dads threats are nothing to joke about. So, I'm surprised that I don't feel angry at him. Somehow I know this will work out because I can stand up to dad too. Not many people do.

"Can you chill the fuck out for two seconds?" I growl.
"Watch your language!" He snaps back but I ignore him.
"Not everybody is a threat. Not everybody wants to kill us. There's more of us than there are of them. It would be a suicide mission going up against us. Why can't you see that? Why are you hellbent on killing anybody you don't like?"

Dad pulls away slightly, shocked by my sudden outburst.
"You're not killing them."
"You don't tell me what to do." Dad argues back.
"I swear to god if you try anything to any of them-"
"You'll what?" Dad smirks.
We don't fight often but when we do it's never pretty. I already feel my hand twitch into a fist.

This is so much more than just Madison and her family. I'm sick of dad thinking everything is a threat. There is still good in the world. He has to see that.
"If they go then I'll go too. I'll leave." I threaten.
Dads face falls.

I'm surprised he actually believed me. No matter how much I like Madison, I'd never leave my family for her. I've only just met her but I'm hoping dad won't call my bluff.

"I don't think thats nessesary Rick. She's just a girl who has been through some shit. Add the end of the world on top of that and I'm sure you can understand what she's going through. She's just adjusting." Maggie interjects and the tension dissolved slightly, making it easier to breathe.

"Fine." Dad retorts.
"I'm not joking though. If any of them sets a tie out of line or gets any of us caught into trouble-"
I walk away, I can't stand to listen to him anymore. Only for Judith is asleep I know he'd yell after me.
I know I'm in trouble tomorrow.