Chapter 11

CARL'S POV.

I wake up suddenly, remembering my dream about a girl with chocolate colored eyes and long messy hair, but something was off. She was covered in blood and parts of her face were littered with bruises. Her eyes were wide, shocked and scared. Thats when I saw the men hitting her, beating her with baseball bats until she couldn't breathe anymore.

I try to run to her, to help, but my feet were glued to the ground. I screamed at them to stop but they didn't hear me. Even if they did I know they wouldn't have stop.

I shake my head, trying to get rid of the dream and the unnerving feeling in the pit of my stomach. I want to know what happened to her and her family here. I want to know her full story but there's no way for me to find out without sounding like an invasive freak. I shake my head again, willing the dream to leave my head.

I'll know she's okay when I see her. I glance over to where she was sleeping last night, but she's not there.
WHERE IS SHE?
She wouldn't leave, would she?
I look to where she was sleeping and Abbie moves in her sleep. That calms me. I know for a fact that Madison wouldn't leave here without her sister.

Where did she go though?
Ugh! Why do I care ? Stop thinking about her, you freak! You literally just met her. Get over yourself.
Glenn and Daryl are already up, making noise in the kitchen. They must be making some sort of breakfast.

Then I see Maggie come out of the bathroom, dragging the girl towards the sitting room. They past right by me and I try not to look at them but something different about Madison catches my attention and I can't help but stare.

I takes me a minute to realize that she cut her hair. I like it that way, it was too long and knotty before, but now it's shorter, still long, but it's shorter. Her face and arms are clean as well but now I can see her injuries more.

I look over to her family and notice they are much the same. Her mother has a broken nose, but it looks like it's been broken for quite a while, it's set into a crooked position on her face. She has a black eye and a cut along her cheekbone. Her brother looks like he got the worst of it. His whole face is almost all purple. His eyes are black and his lips are swollen and split. His nose, is much like his mother but not in a genetic way. It bends at an unnatural angle. He seems lucky to be alive.
They all are.

Her little sister, Abbie, she has it bad as well. Her poor little eye is black and tired as if they haven't gotten a wink of sleep in years. She has a faded scar on the right side of her forehead, and a newer cut underneath it, just in her hairline.

Judith stirs in my arms, tearing my gaze away from the newcomers and I'm grateful. I don't want to be caught gawking. Judith sleeps in dads arms mostly but she stayed with me last night. We don't have the luxury of giving her a crib these days. She starts to cry and I lift her up so she can sit on my lap and look around. I know what she wants, it's the same thing every morning. She stops crying then and I chuckle to myself
Nosey child.

About 15 minutes later everyone is up and dad explains today's agenda.
"Alright so, me, Glenn, Michonne and Madison are going out on a run today, just to see if we need anything we didn't already get from here."
"Me?" Madison says in shock.
"Yes, you, I need to talk to you." He snaps.

"Anyways, this place was a jackpot. We got food, water and shelter for last night, but we can't stay here, the place is crawling with walkers, from the noise last night." He peaks out through the window as he speaks.
"Anyways, I'm expecting good things from next door. You said there was weapons there?" He looks to the brother and he nods tersely. 

Dad continues. "We'll clear that out later, when we come back. Then we'll find shelter for the night."
Everyone starts to pack their things up and my dad speaks up again.
"Michonne, Glenn and Madison we're leaving in 10 minutes grab your shit, everyone else, we will be back in an hour."

Madison doesn't own anything so she turns to her sister and places something in her pocket. I'm just about close enough to make out what she's saying to her.
"You don't mess with that, it's just in case you have to use it. Remember it's their heads you have to go for. Stay close to mom and Nick, okay."
Nick must be her brother.

"Maddie, you don't have to go, stay here." she pleads.
I watch as Abbie peaks at what was out in her pocket. I spot the glimmer of shiny metal, narrow and sharp, like a blade or knife.

"Don't worry Abbie, I'll be fine, just like I always am."
Abbie nods and snuggles into her mother.
"Love you" She says to Abbie only. She looks to her mom and brother but says nothing. Just nods.
"I love you Maddie" her mom says but Madison walks off towards my dad. It's only now I spot tension between them.

I wonder what that was all about?
She must not get along with her mom.
I get up and walk towards dad with Judith. He takes her from my arms and cradles her close.
"I won't be long."
"What are you gonna do?"
His eyes land on Madison and he frowns.
"I don't trust her, even if she is just a kid."
"You're not gonna kill her, are you?"
He returns his eyes back to me and hesitates before replying.
"I just wanna talk to her...."

I should say something. I should stop him or warn him, but instead I keep my mouth shut.
I shouldn't care what happens to this girl. I don't even know her !
Maybe I have clouded judgement about the girl, she is very quiet, too quiet. But I can't ignore the voice in my head that tells me she's not out to get us. She isn't a monster.
I watch as dad leaves with her and I secretly wonder if she'll come back.