Chapter 71

CARLS POV.
Its been hours now and Mads is still unconscious. The doctors said there wasn't even the slightest change with her. Her breathing is even but she still needs help with it. Her blood pressure is still low and she is lacking in blood.
We have all been assigned to stupid jobs.
Dad and Sasha are on look-out. They watch the perimeter.
Rosita and Gabriel are on kitchen duty, they help prepare meals and clean up after them.
Glenn and Carol are taking care of the elderly.
Maggie and Michonne look after the toddlers here.
Abbie is considered a child so she has been enrolled in a small schooling session.
Abraham and Eugine keep the weapon and medical supplys guarded.
Tara and I are stuck on laundry duty. Washing clothes, bedsheets and any other material that can be washed.
Fucking great!
Dawn told us we start first thing tomorrow straight after breakfast.
She told us that every week people get their jobs changed so they don't get bored and complain. She also told us that the longer we are here and the more she trust us we get different jobs. These jobs are secret and hidden from the people that live here. She only told us because she needs our help. I really want to know what those jobs are but she refused to tell us until she knew we could all be trusted.
I marched into Dawns office and swung the door shut with a loud bang.
"Oh goodie, it's you." She remarked.
"I'd appreciate going to see my girlfriend now." I demanded.
"And i'd appreciate you shuting the hell up. Did I not tell you that you weren't allowed see her?" She spits.
"And did I not tell you that I didn't care what you said." I barked back.
She sighed and stood up from her desk. She led me back to the operating room with Madison in it.
"You have twenty minutes." She told me.
When I walked in I realised that the room was completely transformed into a proper room with medical supplies on standby instead of an operating room. A thin figure covered in the same blood layed on the bed. Her head proped on a pillow. Madison looked so pale, too thin and too broken to be my Madison.
"She doesn't even look like Maddie anymore." A voice spoke from behind me. I whirled around and found a small, crying Abbie starring back at me.
"Your not supposed to be here, you'll get in trouble." I said to her.
"No, i'm allowed see her because she's my sister. Even if I wasn't allowed, they couldn't stop me." She stated.
I walk up closer to the stranger on the bed so that I could hold her cold, unmoving hand. A machine continues to beep at an even rhythm. Tubes were stuck into Madisons arms and a plastic tube that was placed under her nose. It supported her breathing. IV's stood tall on a metal pole.
"Come on Mads. Please wake up" I beg, kissing all the tips of her fingers.
"Please." I cry.
"She will." Abbie assures me.
"How can you be so sure?" I ask.
"Because of all the things that Maddie has survived, out of all the things that she hasn't been killed by, a freaking pancreas malfunction isn't gonna be the thing that kills her. I can assure you of that much." She tells me. I relax knowing that Abbie is 100% correct.
No way in hell would this be Mads way out. No way!
"I just hope she wakes soon." I whisper.
"Me too." She agrees.
A few minutes later Maggie walks in. I can see she is fighting off tears.
"This is my first time seeing her since before." She explains.
I understand. The girl on the bed doesn't even look like Madison. She's too pale, too vunrable.
Maggie sniffs repeatedly.
"How are you allowed in here?" Abbie asks.
"I just kept annoying Dawn. She eventually gave in."
There is a long pause.
"We..can't just.. Leave her..like this." Maggie gasps in hysterics.
"She's covered in her own blood." She continues.
I look at Madison. Her hair is dull, tangled and spread out around her like a halo. Twigs and Moss and even blood matt in her hair from the events of the past few weeks. Her arms, neck, shoulders, face and robe are covered in blood. Abbie finds a small bowl and fills it with water. She grabs a small cloth from the connected bathroom.
Maggie starts to scrub away the blood, avoiding the tubes in the way. Abbie and myself pick out the small twigs and moss from her hair. I tuck her hair behind her ear when im finished. Her now clean face is pale but has a slight rosy colour to her cheeks.
I long to see her beautiful chocolate brown eyes open again. To see her move and smile. To Kiss her and hold her and never let her go. To pay attention like I should have before. I should have noticed something was wrong even though she gave me so many hints without meaning to. Maggie leaves the room for a few minutes and soon comes back with a hair brush amd a new, clean robe.
Abbie starts to brush her hair so it's smooth and lies beside Madison.
"Turn around Carl." Maggie instructs.
"Why!" I ask confused.
"Because i'm changing her robe."
Oh. I quickly turn and wait for them to finish. Before they do I heard Maggie gasp. "Oh my god, no." I look around slightly to see Madison barely clothed. I see what Maggie gasped at. All over her body is covered in scars. Not just from the operation but from all her years of living in those Carts. I wish I could have personally killed those men for her. Her stomach, back, arms, legs, shoulders, chest. Everywhere is marked. Her stomach is frightenly flat and I can clearly make out every rib without trying. She never used to look like this. I walk up and grab the robe off a shocked Maggie. I lift Madison into a sitting position and pull the robe over her head and passes her shoulders until it sits on her properly. I lie her back down and kiss her head.
"You'll always be beautiful to me. Wake up and I can help you. I can help you get better, to be healthy. I think I need to tell you something important but i'm afraid that it will scare you off. I need you to wake up so that I can tell you. Please wake up baby." I sigh.
The door opens.
"Your time is up. Leave." Dawn barks orders. We all leave and hope we can come back to see her awake soon.