Chapter 75

MADISON'S POV.

I woke up again this morning in sweats but the usual vomiting has eased off for now and I can keep soup down for a while. My doctor has been checking in on me often and she's been really helpful. It made me feel bad for being a bitch to her before. I've come to like her, she has a different outlook than the others here. I suppose that's because she knows what's going on outside these walls. She's seen the terrors of it through her patients.

I've learned that she also hates Dawn so  we chat shit about her during my check ups. He name is Alex but I prefer to call her Dr.Alex, she's worked hard enough in college, apocalypse or no apocalypse that dedication and hard work deserves recognition. She even seems to have adapted to my sarcasm as well as my temper and she responds to my digs and comments just as sharp as I do. And even though that can piss me off further I've found that I like that about her too.

"Come on, quit whining and get into the wheelchair, unless you wanna crawl to the canteen." She scolds playfully.
"Hey, why don't you be operated on, fight against an induced coma and live on broth for days so that your pancreas won't explode from inflammation. I can assure you you'd be just as angelic as I am right now."
She rolls her eyes. "Listening to you is enough pain but thanks."

The past four days have been interesting to say the least but on the bright side they've unhooked the tubes and Dr. Alex brings me on trips around the hospital on the chair to pass some time.

She wheels me into the canteen hall where everyone is eating their lunch. All my family sit at one table and everyone else avoids them. Most people think we're strange and dangerous so they stay away. Some talk to us. I'm wheeled up to the table to where there is always a spare chair kept for me beside Maggie and Abbie and across from Carl and Rick.

I stand up and Dr. Alex supports me by my arm. I want to slap her away. I'm fine by myself but I know Maggie would take my head if I did so I just sit down silently in my seat.
"How are you today?" Abraham asks.
"That depends."
"On?"
"The menu today."
"It's still broth for you." Dr. Alex confirms before parting ways.
"We'll then I'm still pissed." I answer Abraham.

"My eyes wander to the other plates in the table filled with fruit and pasta, cheeses of different colors, scones, toasties...
Dr. Alex arrives back with a bowl of watery broth and places it in front of me.
"You should've just killed me in the operation."
"Stop being so dramatic." Abbie and dr. Alex say at the same time.

I feel something tap at my knee and I see Daryl hand me an orange under the table. I beam up with him and I can feel my smile go from ear to ear.
"Eat up." Dr. Alex encourage before leaving to see her other patients. I pocket the orange for later.

I look down at the broth in disgust.
"Can I just go on strike and not eat till I get some proper food. I mean this isn't even food its a hot liquid considered food, which by the way is really stupid. Aren't most foods solid." I rant.
"No, the doctor said-" maggie is cut off by me saying "yeah, yeah the doctor said I had to eat frequantly." She raises her eyebrow at me.
"Sorry." I sigh. I look around at new faces I havn't seen before. I sigh wishing I could explore this place more. As if Maggie could read my mind she speeks up "I could ask Dawn if me and Carl could go for a walk with you around the place." Carl looks up.
"She would allow that?" I ask.
"No probably not, shes a stubborn bitch, but its worth a shot." She smiles.
"I guess."
"So eat your broth and we can go. I see Carl is eagar to get out of work." She laughs.
"I'd swap to do laundry over sitting in a bed doing nothing any day." I chuckle.
"Wanna swap?" Carl laughs.
"You got a deal Grimes." I shake his hand.
I eat my broth and get into my wheelchair. By some suprise Dawn actually allowed them to step out of work. We stroll around the main floor and talk for about half an hour. Laughing and embracing the safety of the walls around us. Even though all around the front doors walkers surround us. The people on guard duty are dealing with them. All of a sudden somebody runs around the oncoming corner and runs straight at us. Not looking where he was going he tripped over the wheel on my chair.
"Watch where your going." Carl says while giving him a hand and helping him up.
"I'm really sorry. I got caught up. This old person was having an asthma attack and I had to help. They're okay now but there is only 10 minutes until the kitchen closes. I'm starving." He rants never looking down at me. He looks at Maggie and Carl who are eye level. I only see the corner of his face. His tanned skin, large muscles and perfect jawline is a winner already. Although something about his voice reminds me of someone I can't quite put a finger to. He half turns ready to take off again.
"Again i'm really sorry but I've gotta g-" he's cut off when he looks down at my face. I get a proper look at his face. He looks around my age And he has jet-black hair and green eyes protected by long black lashes. His full lips hang open in shock, as do mine. He is very beautiful but that is not the reason my jaw lies on the ground.
"Oh my god! It couldn't be..." He starts.
"Impossible." I breath.
"I'm sorry am I missing something?" Carl asks looking between us.
The boy snaps out of his gaze.
"Sorry, I, uh, I don't think I introduced myself. My name is-"
"Luke. His name is Luke." I finish for him.
"It's been a while pal." I smile.