Chapter 69

CARL'S POV.
I wake up early. Really early. I'm possitive that I only got about 2-3 hours sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about Madison and how Dawn is an annoying asshole.
I look over to the small digital alarm clock on the bedside table.
It reads 5:20am
Everyone else is in their rooms.
I look down at the clean sheets on the bed and the walls painted white. It makes me self conscious that i'm covered in dirt and a little blood. If Dawn said they have many people I presume they have showers here too. This place must run by solar pannels or something. My mind brings me back to Madison. When I last saw her she was covered in mud and blood. Her blood covered her from head to toe. She was hooked to two IV's. One to rehydrate her body and the second for a blood transfusion. The only brightside of today is that i'll get to see her later. The doctors told us she would wake soon. Her body just had to hydrate itself and make up for the blood lost using the IV. They said hopefully by tonight she would wake.
5:30am time is moving so slow.
I wait in the bed pulling the blankets up to my chin. Curiosity burns away at me wondering about the people here, the facilities, the food and the weapons.
I hear a small shout from the room across from me "Maddie! Please, stay! Maddie!"
I jump out of bed and sprint to where the voice is coming from. I see Abbie tossing and turning in her bed, her eyes closed. But still I look around the room in search for Madison.
Abbies dreaming, you idiot. Mads could never be awake that quickly.
I walk over to Abbie and shake her shoulders gently.
"Abbie! Abbie wake up!" I whisper-shout. Her eyes flutter open fresh tears steaming down her face.
"She died. She died and I watched it. I tryed to help her but I'm not a doctor. She's all I've got left." Abbie sobs.
I pulled her into a hug and hold onto her tight. My hand makes a circular movement on her back to calm her down.
"It was just a dream Abbie. It wasn't real." I whisper to her. I feel her arms go around me, hugging me back.
"Was it though? Carl, I wish I hadn't gone to see her last night. I was better off. She was covered in blood and her hands were so cold. They could have been made of ice. She always laughs or smiles when she's with me, but she was blank. No expression. She's a stick. You can see her cheekbone and her collerbones as if she was a skeleton already. I mean she was skinny before, but now..." She rambles, each word crushing me inside. I didn't get close enough to even hold her hand last night.
"This is Madison. She's gonna be ok. She's a fighter, Abbie. And so are you so wipe away your tears and we'll see who is awake." I comfort her. She's so small that I feel a need to protect her. This must be what Madison feels like.
"Abbie?" I whisper. "Yeah?" She replies
"I'll keep you safe. Okay? You don't have to be afraid." I promise her. She's the kind of person I hope Judith to be like when she gets older.
"Thank you" she hugs me.
"C'mon. I have an idea." I say.
I grab the flashlight I used last night. I shine the light under everyones doors. That way we won't wake anyone and anybody who is awake will come outside.
A few minutes later Maggie and Daryl walk outside. Maggie takes in Abbies red puffy eyes and Abbie runs into her arm into an embrace. We walk into my room and close the door, turning on the light also.
"Couldn't sleep?" I guess.
"No." They whisper.
"Carl, what happened to your cheek?It's all red." Maggie explains. I think back to when Dawn slaped me. She must have left a mark.
"I probably just scratched myself in my sleep." I lie.
"Hey Daryl? I meant to ask, why did you and Madison shoot the fence. Before we came." I ask.
"It was a sign in case you couldn't find us." He explains.
"A death sign." I sigh. He nods.
"What happened?" Maggie asks.
"Madison found me" he started and he told us what happened.
We sit in silence. "I'm dying to find out about this hospital. Who's here. Food. Showers." Abbie says and we all agree.
"We should go look." Maggie says.
"We can't. There's cameras everywhere. They would see us." I say without thinking.
"How do you know?" Daryl asks.
"I, uh, I mean I just presume. I saw a camera on the way up here." I lie.
"Then we should just go anyways, it was just a hunch." Abbie asks.
"Sure. Come with me." Maggie says to Abbie. They leave and go into Abbies room, waiting on us. When I turn to look at Daryl I catch him starring at me. "What?" I ask.
"It's not a hunch. Was it? You left to see Mads and you got caught. Is that what the mark on your cheek is? Were you...'punished'" he asks.
"Your observant. It's scary." I chuckle.
"Is it?" He pushes.
"Yeah Dawn happened. Don't worry. She's scared though, she doesn't know what we're capable of. I'd say use it as an advantage." I say.
We walk outside joined by my dad and glenn. Dad leaves Judith in with Carol.
We all go downstairs together. The six of us, Dawns afraid of dad. I know it already. But she's stubborn and will put up a fight. We freeze when we see David on our path. "Good, your awake!" He whispers.
I have a bad feeling in my stomach.
"There's a problem. Something has happened to Madison." He states.