Chapter 35

CARL'S POV.

We keep walking down this street and that, winding our way out of this town with a few directions from Nick. He can remember the street better than Madison, he had been here longer.

I begin to think about Ben. I wonder how he used to see the world. If he went down fighting until the end. I wonder if we was like Madison or more like Nick. Madison had told me he was a great brother, he looked after her when her mother couldn't.

I glance over at Madison. Her bow is help tightly, protectively in her hand and her eyes look straight ahead, although they're not entirely focused. I can only imagine that she's in another world, inside her head. I could almost guarantee that she was thinking about her mother. Her mom wasn't the best but she was still her mom.

Judith stirs in my arms while she sleeps and I turn my attention back to her, watching as her face screws up in frustration and then relaxes again as she slips into a deeper sleep. Thank god she didn't start crying when we got stuck in the other street that would have caused mayhem.

I can remember the moment in slow moment when dad was being attacked by the walkers. I thought the one that had his arm got him for good. I never believed in the phrase 'my heart was in my mouth' until just then. Madison had come out of nowhere, saving him a chunk out of his arm.

When I look over to them again, Abbie is leaning on Madisons side as they walk together. Abbie is holding her machete in one hand and a barbie in the other. The look was almost comical but nobody said a word. The doll has long, blonde hair and a sequined purple dress.

The doll reminds me of Abbie a little. She's small too and she looks equally as delicate. Her hair almost matches the saw shade as the doll. The only difference is her eyes. The doll has blue eyes but like Madison, Abbie has warm, chocolately brown eyes.

I think about going over and talking to them but honestly, what am I supposed to say?
'Sorry about your mom by the way, anyways let's talk about something else...'

I roll my eyes with a sigh. I'm going to have to talk to them eventually about anything other than the obvious. I never noticed that Madison must have snapped out of her thoughts because she lifts her head and turns it in my direction. I look away a fraction too late and pray that she didn't catch me.

I look straight ahead and hide the embarrassment. I catch Maggie and Michonne giving me a look, both of them waking together and whispering to each other. What's they're messing at or assuming, I don't need that overheard by anybody else in the group.

I put two steps into one and pick up the pace so i'm beside both of them.
"What is your problem?" I say bluntly.
"Don't act innocent." Michonne says with a smile still on her lips.
"I seriously don't know what you guys are talking about." I tell them.
"Oh come on, we saw you checking her out." Maggie whispers, laughing when she notices the shocked expression on my face.

"I wasn't checking anyone out." I defend my cheeks feel like they're burning.
"Aw go on, make a move." Michonne teases.
I sigh and roll my eyes.
"Just go talk to her." Maggie suggests.
"You guys are making this situation so much worse."
"What situation?" Maggie grins.
"This!" I wave my hand between the four of us, including Madison.
"Whatever you think is going on, isn't. So stop giving me looks and making theories up and gossiping because it's me who'll have to deal with it." I groan.

"So you don't like her?" Michonne asks calmly.
I take a deep breath and try not to snap.
"I don't not like her. She's different." I shrug.
Good. Shrugging is casual.
"So you do?"
"Stop that! I just mean I don't hate her but I'm not in love with her either so get over yourselves." I walk away, fuming.

Why are they even involving theirselves? There really isn't anything going on and even if there was, they would be the last to know, I'd make sure of that.

"What's got you in such a mood?" A voice asks from barely behind me.
I sigh, of course it would be her. I can practically hear Maggie and Michonne catapulting back into gossip.

"Hey Madison." I breathe in annoyance.
She moves to walk next to me, Abbie by her side too. Madison raises her brows to push her question again.
"Just Maggie and Michonne. They like to make up inaccurate theories."
She laughs, clearly not understanding what theory could anger me so much.
"I didn't realize you were such an advanced theorist."
I ignore her teasing and shake my head.
"I'm not. I could just be doing better things than listening to them."
"Well, what were their theories?"
"Nothing worth repeating." I murmur, my voice surprised me by its sudden sad tone.

Madison continues to stare at me in confusion. I think of some other way to move the conversation along.
"So Abbie, where'd you find that doll?"
She finally looks up and smiles. She looks tired.
"It was Madison's. She gave it to me." She explains.

"Madison liked dolls? Madison? As in foul mouthed, stern, walker killing, anger issues Madison?" I mock, knowing it's my turn to tease.
"Yeah, yeah, whatever! So I liked to play with Barbies every now and again." She defends.
"I stole all of them." She points out.
"Did you dress them up and stuff?"
"Yeah."
I shake my head. "Then it doesn't count."
"What?"
"Yeah, they cancel each other out."

"Killer by day, Barbie by night."
She shoves my sholder.
"Other way around pal." She laughs.
She looks down at Abbie who is trying to fix her dolls dress.
"Speaking of dressing up, where d'ya get your hat?" Madison asks.
"Hey! Watch it! I endured many days bed bound and several blood transfusions for this."
"Seems like a poor trade."

I laugh. "Dad gave it to me on the farm, remember the one I told you about?"
"Where you found Maggie." She nods.
"Right. You should keep your distance from her. She can be a pain in the ass." I say loud enough for her to hear. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were listening in.
"Maybe you should stay away from Michonne too. They're not stable."

I hear them both laughing now, not even attempting to hide it. Madison cops it too but thankfully, doesn't question what happened earlier again.

************
We keep walking until we find a large entrance to a forest. The leaves have already started to fall from the trees, making it harder to keep quiet as we move. The leaves crunch below us.

Madison, Abbie and I were talking all afternoon and when Maggie and Michonne finally got fed up of listening in they eventually joined in on our conversation.

"Guys, it's getting dark. We need to find somewhere to sleep. Keep your eyes pealed for anywhere that looks safe enough to stay the night." Dad announces.
We walk onwards for another while, looking through the trees for somewhere closed off and untouched.

"Guys, look! It looks like a barn or something" Glenn point into the distance and I struggle to spot what he's gesturing to. The darkness makes it hard to see but Glenn's never let us down before so everyone takes his word.
We walk over to it silently, having to take out only two walkers on the way and sure enough there was a barn there.

"Great job Glenn. Okay, we'll stay here tonight and first thing in the morning we'll try find something to eat. Then we'll be on our way." Dad explains.
My stomach grumbles in anticipation at dads words. Everyone agrees and we open the barn door, surprised to find it so serene inside. I hope dad was right about tomorrow, that something good might actually happen.