Chapter 41

MADISON'S POV.

We walk into the church awkwardly and although everyone went about their day as normal, it felt like every pair of eyes were on us, scrutinizing us. But of course that's all in my head. I feel bubbly, light on my feet and my lips tingle from the ghost of his lips.

I walk up to Abbie with a huge smile on my face and I pull her light weight to sit sideways on my lap as I hug her.
"Why are you all smiley." She mumbles into my hair. I just shrug but she pulls back to look at me in the eyes. She states at me with a suspicious smile and then slowly she looks over at Carl and back to me. As her smile grows mine fades as I watch her put two and two together.

"Whats going on?" She asks, the grin becoming wider.
"Nothing." I scoff, trying to make my response casual.
"Hmm."
"What?" I snap. Snapping is good, pretty normal for me. Nothing unusual.
"Nothing, just that you walked in here lookin like you were just fed an all you can eat buffet."

I laugh at her referance but deep down I'm worried she'll find out and tell someone. Id be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Rick finding out.
"Can't a girl just be happy?"
"I guess. But i'm not letting this go just yet, I think i'll have a little fun with it." She smiles the widest smile I have ever seen on her face.

For the love of God! She knows!

"You little devil, how do you know?"
"What can I say, i'm a mind reader. I'm pretty much a genius as well." She laughs.
"You can't tell anyone."
Her smile drops.
"What? Oh, come on Maddie, I have to. Maggie and Michonne have been waiting for this to happen for ages." She whines.
I laugh. "Not a chance Abbie, especially not them."
She frowns.

"Can I at least talk to Carl." She grins.
My heart leaps in my chest.
"No. No way, you don't talk to him about that subject. Don't even hint about it. okay?" I panic.
The smiles at my uneasiness, teasing me. "Okay, okay. Jeez don't go having a stroke."
I smile with relief.

She jumps off my lap and walks over to Nick but I call her back.
"Wait, Abbie."
She walks back over to me.
"Have you been talking to Nick since I did your hair?"
"Yeah, he was pissed but he didn't say why."
"Okay, i'll go talk to him." I amend.

"Okay, tell me whats wrong with him later." She adds before deciding to walk over to Maggie but I give her a 'remember your promise' look and she nods and sits beside Maggie.

I join Nick who sits alone on a bench.
"Well, Nicolas." I tease and he gives me a warning glare.
"What?" He snaps.
"Whats wrong ? You've been in a mood since... well, the womb really but it's especially bad today. Did something happen?"

"No, well yeah. No, nothing happened."
"So by that you mean something did happen?" I ask.
"It doesn't matter Mads." He explains, getting to his feet. I stand quickly too, blocking his way.
"Yes it does Nick. You've been glaring at Carl since you left that room."
"Why do you care?" He retorts.
I sigh in frustration. This conversation is draining.

"Nick, we're so lucky. For the longest time it's just been us. You, me, Abbie and mom. Now mom isn't here, but we have this huge new family. Not many people get that chance. We have to all get along. We have to make this work."
"What if I don't want to?"
I groan. "Stop being so awkward! Can't you see that this is a good thing?"

"You're only saying that because you're getting something out of it.
"Excuse you?"
"Yeah, Do you mind telling me what the fuck is going on between you and Carl?" His eyes scorch into mine.
"What? I have no clue what you're talking about." I lie.

"Oh yeah ? Well then why is he looking at you twenty-four-seven and tries to snake his arm around you at the back of your seat? I mean come on, you're my little sister." He whines.

"Im not your little anything. I am your sister but it was me who took beatings for you time and time again, it was me who raised Abbie, it was me who killed Ben's killer, it was me who-"
"OKAY! I get it! You took care of us. But it's not like that now so I don't want to see you hanging around with him anymore."

I start to laugh, as if I would listen to his empty threats.
"I can do what I want Nick. If you ever try to tell me what to go again I'll make you sorry."
He rolls his eyes. "You won't do shit Mads."
My hands fly out to shove him back and he stumbles on the foot of the neck and falls back onto the seat.
He jumps back up and marches forward, getting in my face.
"Are you kidding?" He booms.

I hear feet shuffling quickly towards us.
"Woah, woah!" Abraham tugs at Nicks shirt with minimal strength but enough to fling Nick back against him, unable to move in his tight grasp. I feel a pair of hands piling me back too but gently.
"Calm down Madison." Carol warns.
"I am calm!" I snap harshly.
"Cut this shit out." Abraham bellows.

Nick looks over to Carl, who has now gotten to him feet to see what's the problem. Nick looks like he wants to take his arms off.
I sigh, I'm so done with the over-dramatics.
"You know, ever since we got out of those train-cars, I realised that I completely judged you wrong. You're not the wimp you were pretending to be. I don't even know you at all, do I?"
He switches his glare back to me but remains silent.

Suddenly, the door bursts open, making us all jump. Abraham releases Nick and I turn away with Carol by my side. He's clearly done with this conversation and so am I. I crane my head around the others to see what's going on.

Rick, Michonne and the others walk back in with a huge carts of food. Everybody jumps up with excitement and the hoots and squeals echo throughout the church, replacing the heated exchange that took place only seconds ago. Father Gabriel came in last looking like he was about to barf again. He closes the doors behind them, locking them and hurrying to the side room on the alter.

*******

The wait for dinner was almost unbearable and the smell of food was inescapable. My stomach didn't stop growling until I dug into our very own feast. Even Judith cooed with joy as she sat on her dads lap. For the first time in years my stomach hurt because it was so full.

I lie down on the carpet floor of the alter along with everyone else. One of my hands rest on my forehead, brushing away my hair and the other hand rubs my now full, swollen stomach. I will never forget this feeling of content.

"You want the last squirrel leg?" Abbie asks.
I shake my head. "I can't take another bite."
She hands the leg to Daryl, who happily takes it from her.
"You promised me I could do your hair." She recalls.
I groan. "How do you even have energy?"

She grabs my shoulders and pushes me into a sitting position. When I'm upright I notice Bob leaving the church and closing the door behind him. I search for Sasha, wondering if they were meeting together outside but I spot her talking to Therese. He must want air. Not a bad idea either, I could use some air too. I'm so full it's making me tired.

As Abbie plays with my hair I try to fight off my drooping eyelids. They fly open and alert with shock as Daryl speaks out next to me. "Me n' Carol are gonna get some water from the steam nearby." He holds up the empty carton bottles in his hands. Rick waves them off and they go out the same door as Bob.
"All done." Abbie whispers.
"Let's go to sleep."

Oddly enough, the sound of everyone chattering together helps me fall asleep and I think of a happier, easier world where I can go to bed every night with a full stomach and a braid in my hair.