Chapter 86

MADISON'S POV.
I stare at the car and I look at Rick. He doesn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.
"Hey Rick? Do any of these cars seem familar to you?" I ask. He looks at the cars and shrugs.
"No. Why?" He asks.
"Dono. Thought I saw one before." I say. We pick a car and find some rope and metal chains. We connect the cars together and Rick drives forward. The ambulance inches backwards slowly. It barely moves and I motion Rick to drive a little faster. When he does the ambulance comes completely out of the wall. Rick hauls it to the outside of the garage.
"Great! Now what?" I ask bored.
"We clean away the broken bricks and start to build ontop of the undamaged ones." He explains. I sigh and walk up to the wall. I pick up broken bricks and place them in a pile behind us. Rick starts to do the same.
"So you and Carl then?" He guesses and I freeze. I knew this was gonna come up some day I just didn't think now. He laughs at my sudden shock.
"Everyone knows Mads. I just want you to know that i'm fine with it. Actually i'm really happy for you guys. Lori would be happy too." He tells me.
"Thank you." I say.
We start to continue cleaning and talking at the same time.
"You guys are a good team. I know he'd never let anything happen to you and I would bet my life that you would take a bullet for him." He says.
"I would. You know I would. Rick i'd take a bullet for anyone in our family... Maybe minus the priest. That guy still pisses me off." I laugh.
"Its funny to think a few months ago we were all strangers, and now I think of you as my own daughter." He whispers. I turn to look at him.
"You know you are my father figure. With you guys I learned something." I say. His eyebrow raises.
"Whats that?" He asks.
"Your family doesn't always have to be blood. You can choose, if you want to."
He nods. "I know more about people in this family than I did in my own. Ben and Abbie where the only ones I truely knew. Things are diffrent now. I've lost family, but now I have more." I tell him
He ruffles my hair and we finish off cleaning. When thats done we look for a cement mixer and we put large bags of cement in it. I try to lift one but it's so heavy I ended up on my ass. Rick started laughing. "Shut up!" I chuckle.
We slab the wet cement on the bricks and put new ones on top. Rick was better at it then I was and he kept teasing me about it.
When we were done we told Dawn and we were sent back to our shifts. I still had a few minutes until my next shift.
"Hey Dawn? What job is Daryl at right now?" I ask in a hurry. She checks her book. "He's fixing the gate y'all broke when you first came here. Y'all break a lot of stuff." She complains. I sprint out of her office and into a random room on the main floor. It ends up being the toddlers room. I open the window and hop out of it, shutting it behind me. I would have never been allowed go through the front doors there are too many walkers and security. I stay clear of the walkers knowing I only have one knife on me and i'm not even allowed one right now. I see Daryl and I run up to him.
"What you doin' here. You meant to be on the roof covering my ass." I says.
"I needed to ask. When you ran after that car with the white cross, did you know the hospital was here?" I ask.
"No." He states. I look behind me to check for walkers.
"Then why did you follow it?" I ask.
"Because I was looking for my friend. She used to be part of this group. She's Maggies sister." He says.
"Oh yeah. Bernie, right?" I ask.
"Beth. She was taken by that car." He tells me. I feel shivers go down my spine. If Beth was taken from that car that could mean she's here. I run off without telling him. I hop through the window and run to Dawns office. I knock but she's not answering. I invite myself in seeing her empty office. I snoop around for anything to find hoping she won't catch me. I see a bunch of holders with labels on them in the filing cabinet beside her desk. I flick through each until I come to a folder labeled. 'Prisoners'
I open it and flick through pages and pages looking for the name,
Beth Greene.
I flick until I see her name. I'm dissapointed to see no picture but what was I expecting. It says here that she tried to escape. In the process she killed one guard and injured two.
Tough girl.
I put the file away but just as I was closing the cabinet door the door opens and Dawn walks in.
"What are you doing?" She bellows.