Chapter 85

MADISONS POV.
I wake with the beep of my watch at 6:45 am. I get dressed and go to the bottom floor where I meet Lauren and she gives me my dagger and gun. I go down to my hall and sit on the ground leaning against the wall beside an empty cell. I was smart enough this time to bring Abbie's comic book so I'm not down here for hours of bordom. Abbie told me she was finished it so I open up to the first page and I begin to read. A familar voice speeks up when i'm three pages in.
"Aren't you supposed to be doing you job and watch us?" The girl asks. She's the girl that tried to kill me.
"Aren't you meant to shut up." I say.
She huffs and crosses her arms. She sits cross legged infront of her cell door and gently hits her head off the cell bars making an annoying high pitched ping sound. I try to ignore it but I can't and it distracts me from my comic. I sigh.
"Would you NOT do that!" I yell.
"Will you get me food? We were meant to be fed already today." She yells back.
"Whens the last time you were fed?" I ask. She stares at me.
"Two days ago." She mumbles.I sigh and lift my walkie talkie to my mouth.
"Hey Dawn? We have a few complaints down here about food. Do we have any?" I ask. I wait for her to respond.
"Yeah there's some left over porridge from the people who were full. Its in a bucket. Get them to slide their bowls under the cell door and fill their bowls. Small amounts." She orders and I cringe knowing they are eating food that people already ate from.
I walk to the top of the hall and get a bucket of porridge off Lauren.
I walk down and bang a spoon off the bucket. Everyones bowls immediately slides under the door in sync.
I fill each bowl with an equal amount of porridge. I leave the girl until last. I take her bowl and fill it with a tiny bit more porridge than everyone else got. She looks up to me and smiles a bit before picking up the bowl and devouring it. They're starving and I know the feeling from once upon a time. I sit back down and pick up my comic. By the time I finish the comic my own stomach is growling but Dawn speeks up on the walkie talkie saying I could go to dinner. I head down to the canteen and meet Luke in one of the halls. I wave to him. "Hey Luke."
"Oh,..Hey mads...." He mumbles
"Are you okay Luke? You can tell me if your not, you know." I promise him.
"Will you answer honestly if I tell you." He asks and I nod me head.
"What did I do. You just left me like you didn't want to work with me anymore. Did I offend you? Do you hate me?" He ramble.
"Oh, Luke no no. I could never hate you. Your my best friend. I just needed to be up there fighting. Inside has made me go a little crazy. The action kinda distracts me from seeing things. I didn't leave because you were there. I felt horrible leaving you." I tell him and instantly a smile spreads across his face. He lifts me up and twirls me around in a hug while I laugh and squeel at him to let me down. Our eyes meet and he brushes a strand of hair behind my ear.
"You know, your kinda beautiful Mads." He whispers and I blush.
"Your parents would be proud." He says. I hug him again.
"Thank you." I whisper. We walk back to the canteen. I sit next to Carl and Daryl. Judith messes with her mashed bananas. They're spilled all over her top. "Here, let me." I say and Carl passes her over.
"Hello little monkey!" I mess.
She laughs and I use a bib to clean the mess off her top. I put some bananas on her spoon and put it in her mouth.
I see Dawn at the other end of the Canteen and she motions me to her. I pass Judith back to Carl and get up.
"Sorry." I mumble. I go over to Dawn.
"I need you and someone from your group to help me with a job after dinner. Not Carl. You'll be distracted. Oscar will take your shift and you can take the night shift until 1am." She orders. I sigh but nod my head.
"I'll just finish my dinner and see you then." I say and walk back to my place.
"What was all that about?" Glenn asks.
"Um, she wants me and Rick to do a job for her." I say choosing Rick.
"First I've heard of it. What does she want me to do?." He asks.
"Not sure yet, but its something special. Might be outside. I have to take a night shift to make up for lost time later so I won't be in bed until 1am." I tell them. I dig into my dinner and when we are finished I kiss Judiths head and ruffle Abbies hair. I hold Carls hand under the table and squeeze it lightly before leaving with Rick. We meet Dawn in her office and she takes us outside.
"You guys are gonna tow this ambulance out of the wall with a car from the garage. Then you can start to rebuild the wall with cement and new bricks. Tell me when your done." She orders.
"Why us? I have an important shift right now so why am I doing this?" I ask confused
"Because your the one who crashed the damn thing." She yells.
"Fair enough." I giggle.
"Its not funny Smith." She barks and leaves. She leaves me and Rick to clean up the mess I made. We go to the garage to find a car to tow the ambulance from the wall with. When we enter there is a row of four cars but one in particular catches my eye.
The black car with a white cross painted on the back window.