Chapter 89

MADISONS POV.
I slept in this morning as I don't need to go to my shift until 1pm. I roll over in my bed trying to drift back into my unconsciousness but I can't shake the uneasy feeling of knowing what I know and struggling to piece together a plan on my own. I remember last night when I came back to my room.

Flashback
I was walking down our hall after my shift, yawning and struggling to keep my eyes open wide enough to find the door handle of my door. As I twist it the door next to Carl's room opens, making me jump. Maggie stands in the doorway with a knife clutched defensively in her hand.

"Jesus! Its just me!" I whispered with volume.
She relaxes but I catch her glancing down the hall anyways, just in case.
"Sorry, I thought you were someone else." She mumbles sleepily.

"This place make you nervous too?" I mean for it to sound like a question but it sounds more like a statement. Maggie shrugs and I nod in agreement, I don't think i'll ever trust the people here.
"It just seems to good to be true." She whispers.
I'm not sure how to respond to her knowing that her sister is alive just three floors below us right now!
End of flashback.

I toss and turn in the bed and soon give up on the idea of sleep, no matter how tired my body is. My body can't keep up with my mind as it races through the hundreds of possibilities for today. Many of those possibilities could result in a bullet in my head.

Just thinking about the plan that must take place today has my heart slamming against my chest. Especially because I can't think of any distraction for Dawn. I have less than a few hours to figure everything out. I think of Beth who is probably freezing in her cell, waiting for me to think of something clever enough to get us both out of here alive.
I sit up and put my head in my hands racking my brain for a distraction. But still, nothing.

Some people are gone for their shifts and others are still asleep waiting for their next shift. I look over to see Abbie still sprawled across her bed, tangled in the sheets and her messy hair in her face, moving slightly when she breathes. Her 'school' doesn't start until 10am so I leave her be.

I get out of bed, pausing awkwardly when the springs in it creek, making noise. I don't want Abbie to wake. I quietly leave and walk along the hall to Carl's room, letting myself inside. I close his door quietly behind me and even then he doesn't wake.

He looks peaceful sleeping and I'm not sure I can allow that. I chuckle to myself knowing how childish it is to bundle myself into his closet and hide but I do it anyways. I watch between the crack of the closet doors as I whisper his name. At first he stirs and a frown line appears between his eyes as he wakes.

I whisper his name again and this time he springs awake and scans the room. I cover my mouth to contain my laughter. He stands there a moment, wondering had he dreamt it until I whisper again.

He reaches for his bedside locker and I watch curiously as he pulls out a gun. My jaw nearly hits the closet floor and a pang of jealousy hits me.

Where did he get that gun ? My shit was taken off me. Not fair !

He moves closer to the door and opens it to peer outside. I abandon ship and quickly sneak to his bed where I lay casually with my hands behind my head as if I'd been here to whole time.  I sneek out of the closet and lie on his bed as if I had been there the whole time.

When he turns he jumps and points the gun at me as he squints into the darkness.
"Fucking hell Mads!" He finally relaxes, realizing it's only me.

"Fancy meeting you here." I resist a laugh.
He frowns and shoves the gun into the locker again, trying to stay mad at me but the minute I crack a smile he can't help but smirk.