Chapter 83

MADISONS POV.
Dawn leads me down the familar dark halls lit with a few lamps on the sides. The small 'prison' is made up of two hallways. Food and weapons are stored in the other halls. We came across two tall large men and a woman that gives me a death stare. She reminds me of Dawn herself. Only angrier, if thats possible.
"Guys this is Madison Smith. She will be working along side you for now on. Give her a hall to watch and a few weapons of her choice. Somebody take the other hallway and then the other two, guard the stairs so nobody comes down. You know the drill." Dawn says to them. Dawn nods to me and jogs back upstairs to play her part as leader.
"My name is Lauren. Come with me." The woman bosses. She leads me down a hall that has rooms stocked with food and weapons. We enter a room and she tells me to pick two weapons of my choice. I picked up a dagger and a magnem handgun. I load it and put it in my holster. She power walks down the hall and I have to put two steps into one so I could keep up with her. She leads me to the furthest hall that has cells on each door that goes down the hall. Lauren hands me a walkie talkie.
"Dawn said to give it to you. Dawn can contact you on that. She can tell you when to go to dinner and when your shift is over." I nod my head and mutter a thanks.
I walk up and down the hall and look into each cell. Their clothes are dull and dirty. There are bruises and cuts on their faces. Most of them lie or sit on the ground conserving their energy. They all have small canteens holding a small amount of water. One woman with wild brown locks tilts her head back and shakes her empty canteen above it trying to get any little drop out.
My sympathy towards some of these people is eating away at me. You can tell the good people from the bad. The Bad give you looks as if they're imagining 1000 ways to kill you. The good ones are doing anything other than bothering you, they look around for scraps to survive on. The people here are of all age groups some middle aged and some nearly my age. I just keep walking up and down the hall until i'm called for lunch.
**************************
My walkie talkie comes to life and Dawns voice comes out of it.
"Madison you can go for dinner now. I've told your family that you're the new watchout girl on the roof. They weren't happy about it so I told them it was either that job or you go on more runs so they shut their mouths and accepted it after that." She explains and I chuckle. I lift the walkie talkie to my mouth. "Thanks Dawn. I'm on my way up now. I see someone coming now to take the next shift." I say as I watch the man walk up to me.
"Your next shift is half an hour after lunch. Be there." She orders.
"Yes ma'am." I say. The man reaches my side.
"Oscar." He says.
"Madison." I reply and shake his hand. I give him my walkie talkie. I leave my weapons with Lauren before I leave.
I make my way to the canteen and I sit beside Luke and Abbie and straight across from Carl.
"Hey guys." I say.
"Hey mads." They all say.
"How'd you get on in watch duty." Rick ask, it takes me a minute to remember the coverup story Dawn made.
"Oh, uh yeah its great. Nothing much to do though. Just shoot a bunch of walkers if they come close to the gates."
"You didn't tell us you had a new job." Luke states and he looks really dissappointed. As if I hurt his feelings.
"I must have just forgot, sorry." I say.
He nods his head but I know he's still upset. I look at Carl and he smirks and I know exactly what he's thinking and I can't help but blush. I get up to go to the kitchen counter before I say something stupid about last night.
I go and get a bowl of vegtable soup. One for both Abbie and myself. I bring it back to the table and set it beside Abie who is playing with her barbie dolls hair. I forget how young she is and that its her birthday next month and she'll be turning 10.
"I didn't see you come back to the room last night." Abbie says.
Oh shit! OH shit! Oh shit!
"Um, yeah I came back late. I went for a shower to get the blood off my face and my arms after the accident." I lie.
"Oh ok." She mumbles as she put a spoon of veggie soup in her mouth.
I look at her doll which used to be mine and I notice she doesn't have her purple sparkley dress.
"What happened to her dress?" I ask.
"My friend from school let me have a new one. Don't worry the purple one is in my bag." She giggles.
"Whats your friends name?" I ask.
Now that I think of it Abbie has never had a friend her own age. I'm her sister and her mother figure and her best friend but I can't always be all of them.
"Her name is Sophie." She explains.
"Is she nice." I ask.
"Yup, thats her sitting over there with her mom and dad." She says pointing her out to me. I see a small girl with long blond hair down to her waist. She wears a little dress and shoes that match. She holds her own Barbie doll. She looks adorable. I finish my soup and wait until everyone else is finished theirs. I still have another half an hour until my next shift. I'm planning on staying with Carl.