Chapter 84

MADISONS POV.

"No, no, Carl! Carl..." I moan, complaining. We lie on his bed as he kisses my neck.
"Why not?" He whispers.
"Because if we start now i'll never be able to get back up." I chuckle moving his hair out of his face.
"I'm okay with that." She smirks.
I slap his arm playfully.

"I know you are, but Dawn won't be. My shift starts in fifteen minutes." I tell him. He sighs. He wraps his arms around me and we stay still on the bed.
"What is your job this week?" I ask him
"Kitchen duty." He groans.
"Haha! Kitchen boy." I tease.
"This is so not fair! You're up there shooting walkers and i'm stuck cooking food. It should be the other way around." He says and I gasp punching his shoulder.
"You sexist pig." I yell.

I playfully shove him and he nearly falls off the bed. He jumps at me and I use all my strenght to push him over until i'm on top. All of a sudden we are having a full on wrestling match trying to push each other off the bed.

A few minutes into our match the door opens and Rick walks in. I use Carls distraction to my advantage. I push him off the edge and he lands on his ass with a "hmpf."
I can't help but laugh at his expression.
Rick looks at us as if we have three heads but then he laughs also.

"Uh, Dawn told me to tell you to get ready for your shift." Rick tells me.
I drag myself off the bed.
"Ughhh, ok. I'm gonna go then. See you guys later." I say.

I walk down to the cells and Lauren gives me my weapons. I wonder if she ever gets a break. I walk down to Oscar and he hands me the walkie talkie before leaving. I walk up and down for ages and for some time I even sit cross legged on the floor. I messed with my knife in my hands just for something to do. Hours must have passed. I couldn't see outside because there was no windows but it had to be near curfew hour.

I hear a whistle from the far end of the corrider but when I got down there everyone looked as if they were asleep. I turn my back to walk away but someone from inside the cell grabs me by my hair and yanks me back against their cell door. They hold me in a choke hold and press a knife up to my throat. I grab the arm and pull it with all my might.

My lungs scream for air as I twist my attackers wrist hard and I hear a sickening crunching sound come from it. As a result, the knife drops to the ground and a small cry comes from my attacker. I pick up the knife and turn quick aiming my gun at her head.

"Give me one reason why I don't shoot you right now." I spit, harshly.
"Oh, we all know that Dawn needs an extra body to throw down the elevator to distract the walkers." She spits back.
"I'm sure there are a few more people to spare down here."
"I'm just tryin to get out." She mumbles.

I put my gun away and squat down to her eye level to stare at her.
"You wanna tell me your name?" I ask.
She doesn't answer.
"Did you hear m-"
"Yeah I heard ya. I'm just not tellin ya." She barks. I get back up onto my feet. She holds her now broken wrist and looks shocked at me.

"Don't judge people by their size or looks, because you'll be the one to pay the price." I tell her.
She isn't worth my time or my life so I walk back down to the other end of the hall. I can't help but admire her creativity of getting me down and her stubborness. She reminds me of myself or maybe someone else i'm not sure.

Dawns voice speeks up on the walkie talkie. "Shifts up pal!" She barks.
"Okay. I'm gonna go to bed. Who's taking my shift?" I ask. I see Dawn walk down my hall and lift the walkie talkie to her mouth.
"I am." She says. I meet her halfways and hand her my weapons and walkie talkie.
"See you tomorrow?" I ask.
She nods. "See you then sport."

I walk back to my room to see Abbie reading a comic.
"Cool, where did you find that?" I sit beside her.
"Carl gave it to me." She explains.
"Oh... Hey Abbie? I meant to ask you something a long time ago." I say.
"Whats that?" She asks.
"When we left our house after mom died. Just before we left, you ran back into the house to grab something. What was it?" I ask. She smiles and grabs her bag.

She pulls out a small picture frame and hands it to me. I look down at the familar photo that hung in the hall to find our family photo. My mom and dad stood next to each other. My mother held her swollen, pregnant belly and her three children stood in front of her. Two boys and one girl. I didn't even notice I let tears escape until one landed on the glass of the frame. I wipe them away quickly.

"Its strange how in some way this is the only photo that we are all together. But technically we never all saw each other. You never saw dad, I didn't get enough time with Nick to really know him like I should've. And Ben was stolen from us all." I whisper. Abbie nods.

"Do you remember Ben?" I ask her.
"Sometimes. I remember his face but his voice... Some of the memories fade in time. Is that normal?" She asks.
"I guess. I loved my dad. I loved how he treated me like I was so special compared to anyone in the world. He gave me attention and he taught me how to throw knives and use my bow. But some of those memories fade after a while, I guess." I whisper.

"What was he like Maddie? Our dad." She whispers.
"He was a great man. Smart. Brave. Cunning. Calm. Understanding... some people say he was crazy. People at school talked about him. The parents, the students, hell even the teachers. I was picked on because of him, but I always defended him. I always fought back. I was sent home from school early alot because of it. I never fit in. And I think I realised now its because I wasn't made for that world. I was made for this world. Or a world like it. To survive. Our father was crazy, but he had his reasons. I just wish that I had more time with him to find out why." I tell her.
"I wish I saw him. Even if it was just once." She whispers.
"Mother made him leave the same day he died. They never got along, they screamed at each other." I say.

"I miss mom too. It's weird how our lives had changed in the space of a few years." She whispers and I can't help but feel a sudden pang of guilt.
"I love you and you're not going anywhere on me so say your prayers or do whatever you do and go to sleep." I whisper and kiss her head.
"I love you too Maddie. Goodnight."
"Goodnight Abbie."