Chapter 39

CARL'S POV.

Dad and the rest of the group are figuring out a way to get to the food bank safely. Daryl, on the other hand is way ahead of us. He's outside cooking the hunt from this morning. The smell drifts into the church and the aroma of the meat is mouthwatering. I'm so hungry I could explode.

Madison joins me on a bench, near enough to the group to listen into their plan.
"Quite the show you put on for us there."
She shrugs. "Well, I didn't know I had an audience. I could've been a lot more dramatic, could've smash something or kicked over a statue."
"You? Dramatic? I couldn't imagine it."

She rolls her eyes but a smile plays on her lips.
"Well, you literally have a switch personality. You have like a hundred different moods, each of them unpredictable."
"Which is your favorite?"
"Meh, couldn't pin point one in particular. Ask again tomorrow."
She nods.

Without thinking about it, my hand naturally stretches out and rests on the back of the bench behind Madison. I think nothing of it until I accidentally lock eyes with Nick from across the small church. He stares daggers in my direction and I quickly pull my hand back.
What a nut case !

"I think we have a plan." Dad announces and everybody shuts up.
"Me, Michonne, Glenn, Sasha, Bob and Father Gabriel are going on the trip. The rest of you will stay here on guard for anything strange." Dad tells us, eyeing the two side doors, as if waiting for someone to jump out at us.
I had to admit, it is a title eery here and the fact that Gabriel claims he's been here all alone for this long without killing any walkers... it just doesn't sit right with me.

"You're not seriously taking him? The priest ? The priest who was screaming on a rock for help?" Mads asks while Gabriel gives her a look of disgust.
"Yeah, I am."
"Rick, he's gonna get you or somebody else killed. You can't bring him." She exclaims.
"I rather him where I can see him instead of here with Abbie, Carl and Judith. Don't you?"

The small statement was probably meant to sound comforting, not condescending but the way he said it made it seem like I couldn't keep care of myself or Judith. I'm more than capable.
"Yeah, you're right." She admits reluctantly.

"We'll be back before the dark sets in. Judith will wake up soon. See if you can find anything here for her to eat..... Stay safe guys."
We all nod.
And with that they walked out of the church on their way to the foodbank.

"Judith will be awake soon. I better go find something for her to eat." I stand up.
Madison sighs. "Go ahead but I'm telling you, we've searched this place high and low."
"Daryl's food should be ready soon anyways." I note.

I walk onto the alter and into the small room on the right. I look around the small room. There's a couch, a desk all set up with books and bibles and a few desk drawers. I bend to rummage through them but find nothing.

I hear something in the doorway and I spin around to find Nick standing there.
"What are you doing with my sister?" He asks.
"What?" I scoff.
"Seriously, im not messing. I know im not the strongest here but when it comes to my family I'll stop at nothing to protect them. Even if that means killing you-"
"Alright, less of the dramatics-"
"I'm serious ! Dead-ass."

I roll my eyes and turn to search for more food again but I hear his footsteps come towards me. He spins me back around and grabs fists full of my shirt.
"If you hurt her-"
I punch his hands off of me and he winces from the impact.

"I'm not up to anything. The only person I want to hurt is you because you're really annoying right now. So stop with the big brother act and piss off. We both know Madison could tear you apart in her sleep if she wanted to. No need to play tough guy for her." I pat his back mockingly as I pass by him.

As I head back into the alter I don't bother looking behind me to see Nick storm out of the room. I sit down next to Madison and Abbie again and Madison, who is busy braiding her sisters hair, tears her chocolate brown eyes away from her work to look up at me.

"What was Nick doing in that room with you? He came out looking pretty angry."
"Just chatting." I dismiss.
"About what?"
"Nothing."
"Should I go check on him ?"
"No, nah, he's fine. Don't worry." I say quickly.
She hesitates, looking at me and obviously not quite believing me.
"I'll talk to him later." She amends.

"There you go Abbie. All done." She says patting Abbie's braid into place across her shoulder.
"Okay, my turn." Abbie says, bouncing up and down.
"What?" Mads questions.
"My turn to do your hair." She announces.

Madison quickly glances at me.
"Um, maybe later Abbie."
"Okay. I'll make sure it's extra ugly." Abbie teases and Madison shoves her shoulder lightly, messing with her. She giggles and runs off to talk to Maggie and Tara.
Leaving me and Madison alone.

"You know what?" She begins conversation.
"What?" I chuckle.
"It's really boring in here. Lets go for a walk." She sugests while jumping up and grabbing her knife and bow. She slings the bag of arrows onto her back.

We walk to the door and I turn just in time to see Maggie wink at me but I roll my eyes at her. Secretly, I'm nervous to go outside with her and I don't know why.