Chapter 87

MADISONS POV.
"What are you doing?" She bellows.
My heart hammers against my ribcage as I try to come up with a lie.
"I needed to ask you something." I say
"Well quit wasting my time and spit it out kid. i've got better things to do that stand and watch you squirm." She snaps. My head rambles for an excuse.
"I need more medicine for my pancreas. My daily ones have run out and I was wondering if I could get more really quick i'll only be like 5 minutes late for my shift." I say.
"Jesus kid you need to find a better way to waste my time. Dr. Alex is in the newborn ward she'll get you stuff. Now get out im busy." She shoves me out of the room and slams the door behind her.
"Geez, you don't have to be a bitch about it." I say in the hall. Dawn surprises me by yelling out the door to me. " I HEARD THAT!"
"I said it out loud didn't I?" I spit. I run down to find Dr. Alex and when I find her she greats me with a warm smile.
"Its been a while kid. What d'ya need?"
I tell her what I need and she leads me to a room full of medical supplies she hands me what I need and then leaves quickly needing to get back to help in the newborn ward. I'm left in the room and I decide to snoop because i'm nosey and i'm Madison, that basically clears that up. I come across a small brace made to heal a hand. I quickly take it and my meds and put them in a bag I am wearing on my back. I run to the bottom floor and i'm greated with a dirty look from Lauren. "Your late!"
"Yeah sorry, I told Dawn. I got held up." I explain as she hands me my weapons and walkie talkie. I run to my hall and sit on the ground with my back against a wall outside, between two cells. Familar blue eyes look up at me.
"This is an unusual time for you to be here." She says. The girl who tried to kill me.
"Are you ever gonna tell me you name?" I ask frustrated.
"Nope. Why are you here?" She asks.
"I swapped shifts just for tonight." I say
"Thats not what I meant. I mean why are you down here. Nobody knows about down here." She spits.
"Dawn trusts me. I wanted to be doing something like this. Maybe not this boring but I wont complain. The highlight was you attacking me." I say.
That made her laugh and me smile.
"By the way I think you broke my hand you bitch." She adds.
"Oh, I actually brought you something for that." I say getting the brace from my bag.
"You did? Why?" She asks while putting her hand between the bars so I could adjust it properly on her.
"Because you remind me of someone." I say. She inspects the brace.
I sit back to where I was and take out a book to read that was in my bag. What feels like ages later a loud crashing noise comes from one of the cells. I get up and walk down the hall with my dagger out. I see a walker reach its hands out through the bars. Somebody died and came back a walker.
A man I never seen before from the cell opposite the walker speaks up.
"It happens all the time. He'll be thrown down the elevator to distract the walkers at the front door. Just like the rest us who died." He spits.
I pick up my walkie talkie and talked into it. "Theres a dead one down here in one of the cells. Came back as a walker. Do I put it down?" I ask.
"I have to come down. Leave it. I'll see you in a minute." Dawn says.
In a few minutes she comes down with a streacher and a bodybag. She nods to me to put the walker down and I stab it in the head. We open the cell and Dawn, Lauren and myself lift the walker putting it in the bag on the streacher. Dawn zips the bag and walks away.
"Down the elevator for you pal." She murmurs.
*********************
It has to be at least midnight now. My shift will be over in an hour but I already find it hard to keep my eyes open. Everyone here is asleep and the silence is peaceful until my stomach growls. I open my bag and take out an apple. I munch down on it savouring the bitter sweet taste in my mouth.
"Sharing is caring you know?" The blue eyed girl asks. She fiddles with her new brace.
"Why are you still awake?" I ask.
"I'm trying to figure you out. Your a good person, thats clear but your also a person who doesn't put up with bullshit. Thats clear too. But i'm always gonna try and find my way out of here." She tells me. I take another bite from my apple. "Even if I have to kill you." She adds.
"Thats kinda hard to do when your behind bars." I spit. She shrugs.
"Nearly got you last time." She smirks.
"But you didn't and I broke your hand."
She nods at my valid point.
I sigh and reach into my bag. I draw out another apple and raise it in the air clear for her to see. It would be safe to give it to her now when nobody is watching and she knows that, you can see the hunger and desperation in her blue eyes.
"You get this apple in exchange for one question." I say. "Deal?" I ask.
"Deal." She confirms. "Apple first." She says. I smirk and hand it to her. She instantly munches down on it.
"So..... Whats your name?" I ask.
She finishes chewing and wipes any remaining juice off her mouth.
"Beth. My name is Beth Greene."