Chapter 67

Carl's pov.
"We have news about the girl." Dawn states. She stands up and exits the office. Her security tells us to follow her.
We walk briskly down the hall after Dawn and through the reception. Our weapons that we laid on the ground earlier are gone, they must have more people here than they are telling us. Michonne catches on to this also.
"How many people live here?" She asks.
"To many to count." A security man answers. "Woman, children..." He continues. We gape at each other in shock.
Dawn turns around fast on her feet infront of a set of large, white doors.
"Nobody is aloud go through here usually. But you said she was family and you have a lot of people here. We don't want a fight, we want an allegiance." Dawn explains.
"How so?" My dad asks.
"You have experianced people, weapons and an ambulance that could come in handy. We've got shelter, medication, food, electricity. Seems like we have things you need and we need things you have. Call it a deal and we can attempt to save your friend. If not you can take her dead corpse and leave." She tells us.
"Not much of a choice." Daryl spits.
"We don't have the luxury of wide options. Rules here are strict. We have a curfew and we had to break it because you were ready to take our walls down. If you stay your first job will be to mend the gate." She instructs.
"It's a deal." My dad shakes Dawns hand.
"Ok. We are about to enter the emergancy room. The girl is being operated on." She explains. We step inside the doors to be greeted with another long hallway and along the wall there are coats and masks on hooks.
"Each of you put them on and I can bring you to your friend." Dawn orders.
"Madison." I say.
"What?" She asks confused.
"Her name is Madison." I explain.
She smiles slightly. "I will bring you to Madison." She corrects
Everyone has the coats and masks on. Even Judith has a mask held over her face. Although she keeps putting it on and off again. We walk down the hall and pass three doors. When we get to the forth its opened and we enter a large white room. Its filled with chairs and a large window. When you look through the window you can see a girl lying on a bed with a mask on her face. A light is shining onto her. She is wearing a blue hospital gown. Her clothes thrown onto the floor away from the bed. Surgens are studying the girl and using tools that are pointed to her abdomen. She is being operated on.
"Madison." I whisper.
"Yeah thats her." Dawn confirms.
"But she looks like a broken doll. To thin, covered in blood...." I say.
"The weight-loss is part of her symtoms. I was told you could see every one of her ribs." Dawn explains.
"Whats happened to her?" Dad asks.
"She has a severe case of pancreatitis.
Very dangerous. It can effect other organs but the surgens main concern is the actual pancreas itself." She tells us.
"What is pancreatitis?" I ask.
A doctor comes in and interupts our conversation.
"Dawn, we need a vaccum to complete the girls operation." He tells her.
"Well, you know where to get it. Send David in, would you?" She asks.
The doctor leaves and a few minutes later another doctor apears.
"This is David. He knows more about whats happening to Madison than I do. I'm going to make sure this girl gets out of that room alive. Thats how the deal works right?" She tells us.
"Right." Glen agrees.
"I need to leave and find rooms for you to stay in. I'll be in my office if you need me. David can answer your questions." She tells us and walks out the door.
"Whats pancreatitis?" I repeat.
"Pancreatitis is a painful inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is used to produce and distribute, enzymes and other hormones." David tells us.
"But why is this happening to Maddie?" Abbie asks.
"I can tell she's your sister. You have the same eyes. It's happening because you sister has gallstones which is dangerous when you have pancreatitis.
There is a common bile flow to and from the pancreas. Gallstones is the blocking of the bile flow in the pancreas. That is why this is happening." David explains.
"Has she been vomiting blood that can be a major symptom?"
"Yes" we all say in unison. It might have been funny only this isn't a funny situation.
"Ok. This is good info, we need this information. We can vaccum out the blockage in her pancreas and the blood in her stomach. This will help big time. If you will excuse me I will inform the doctors." He adds and leaves the room.
We all look through the mirror and watch Madison being poked and prodded at. Abbie stands beside me and i put my arm around her for support. She leans into me and I give Judith to dad. I keep Abbie close to my side.
David walks back in. "Good news. The vaccuming on the blockage has been succsessful. The stomach can be easily done. She is stable. We need to keep a close eye on her but she will be ok for now." David announces.
I nearly fall on the ground in relief. Dad wraps his arms around me into a hug and whispers.
"If she can get past this, nothing can stop us. Head up son. She's gonna be ok."