Chapter 12

MADISONS POV

We walk for what seems like a long time, each of us keeping our distance, never making conversation. I can feel everyone's eyes on me, watching my every move. I follow Rick with equally high suspicion to wherever he's leading us. The trees surrounding us sway gently in the breeze. The silence is eerie, all that can be heard is the rustling of leaves and the crunching of twigs when we walk over them.

Now that we're far enough away from the others Rick finally speaks up.
"Okay, Glenn and Michonne you go up north and see what you can find up there, I think I saw an old barn up there, it's worth a look. Madison and I will go west and do the same, I'll show her a few things and we'll meet back up here in forty minutes."

"Okay." Michonne nods, eyeing Rick, trying to tell him something with her eyes I presume but I don't understand the look, which only puts me more on edge as they both turn and walk in the other direction, leaving Rick and I alone.

This is wrong, I know it. He's not gonna
show me shit, but I can't call him out on it either. Not yet.
Rick has a handgun tucked into the holster on his belt, a knife strapped to his leg and a heavy looking machine gun slung over his shoulder.

Glenn had a machine gun too and a machete with a red handle. Michonne looked perfectly comfortable with no more than her katana, which never seems to leave her side.

After walking alone with Rick for a few minutes I grow more anxious. I don't know these people. Why does he have me out here alone with him ?
I have no weapon.
He's gonna kill me.
I feel myself freeze. I knew what he was up to from the start but I can handle myself.

I suddenly feel things click into place in my head. I can handle myself but I left Abbie back there with a group of strangers.
THEY'RE GONNA KILL HER!
I force my brain to think rationally but my feet are ready to bolt. I need to get back to her. Without weighing any consequences I turn sharply in the direction we came from and take off.

I'm running back now as fast as I can, ducking and diving stray branches and shrubs, pushing past them with all my might. I hear Rick shouting my name but I don't care. I need to get my family if they're not already dead.

I twist my head around to find Rick running behind me, hot on my tail. He tried to grab me but I dodge just in time and as I move Rick busts his head off a tree.
Good, that will buy me some time.

I have an ache in my side from running, after being beat there just a few days ago. I don't care, i'm still running, even when my feet burn and my legs shake, threatening to give way. Until out of nowhere I feel firm hands grab my torso and fling me as I'm tackled to the ground. My head slams against the ground, beside a root of a tree. I feel a warmth tricking down my forehead. I quickly swipe it away with my hand, not shocked at the redness stained there when I pull it away.

I roll on the ground trying to get up. I groan as I swipe at the blood again, keeping it out of my eyes.
When I try to get up, Rick pushes me back down. He's too strong.

He's furious and his head is bleeding too. Good, I hope it hurts.
I roll back on my legs and Rick puts his gun to my head before I get the chance to get up and run again. I freeze, keeping completely still as everything inside speeds into full force. My heart accelerates as I wait for the bullet to go through my head.

But when it doesn't I wonder if he's trying to tease me before I die. With a huff, I knock the gun away from my head and wince at the sound it makes when he shoots, the bullet flies past my head and I try to scramble away again but he blocks any possible escape when he kneels on my ribs. I groan.

I glare at him straight in his eyes and speak in the most chilling way I can.
"If you touch her I'll kill you".
"What?" He asks with a pokerface.
"If you kill my family, I'll kill yours, I swear to god!" I scream an empty threat. The threat is almost comical, not that I didn't mean it, it's just hard to kill somebody's family when you're dead.