Chapter 94

Madisons pov.
After the people of the hospital commited their allegiance to Rick we headed down to Dawns office and shove her in a corner. Everyone got the day off to celebrate but Abraham, Daryl, Sasha, Rosita, Carol and Tara patrol with the guards who are still on duty to make sure everyone is in order.
"So what do we do with her?" Tyreese asks. Rick pulls out his gun and hands it to me signaling me to kill her.
"Nah, she shouldn't get away this easy." I say. Nobody protests. Judith stirs in Carls arms. I give Rick his gun back and walk towards Dawn.
"You seemed to like that lamp though didn't you? Aww, but look, somebody stitched your head for you. We can't have that." I laugh viciously. I pull out my knife and use the tip of the blade to pluck out one stitch at a time watching as she clenches her jaw and tears of blood roll down her forehead.
"Do you remember that time you hit my face over and over?" I ask sarcastically. I don't give her time to respond.
"No? Oh well, it went something like this." I say punching her over and over until my knuckles busted open. I ignore the tingling pain and focus on my adrenaline and anger.
"I'm done with her for now, but I don't want her dead." I tell Rick.
"We'll put her in the cells." He suggests and I feel sick to my stomach thinking about it, not because I feel sorry for her but because it makes me feel like a hypicrite. I spent years of my life locked away, get out, speak out about it and then lock someone else away. The only difference is that we have a good reason to do this.
"Only if we release the innocent prisoners." I say and Rick nods.
"Nobody down there is innocent." Dawn snaps.
"Oh please, you would've imprisoned someone if they took an apple from the canteen without asking." I say.

Rick, Glenn, Carl and myself go down to the cells with the prisoners files. Anyone who tried to escape were the first to be released. They didn't do anything wrong. They just wanted to leave. We told them to wait outside their cell if they wanted to leave. Next, anyone who stole, took medical equipment or went to canteen and took lots of food before hours were all released. These people were like us. They only wanted to survive. They also waited outside their cells. That made a total of about 37 people. We walked them to the canteen and fed them soup first and then gave them fruit. Dawn is put in a cell at the bottom of the hall away from the others. Rick went around the cells asking three questions to the people who killed.
"How many walkers have you killed?"
"How many people have you killed?"
"Why?"
Not many of these people were released only the ones who killed because they had to. Another 9 people were released. The others were bad and stayed put for now until we figured out what to do with them.

The four of us went upstairs to the others in Rick and Judiths room.
"Daryl, Abraham and Tara are watching the prisoners in the canteen at the minute." Rick explains to the remainder of us.
"Where's Abbie?" I ask Maggie.
"She's playing somewhere with her friend Anna." She tells me.
I clear my throat to grab attention of the others.
"So I was thinking. Um, it's Abbie's birthday in a few days and she's turning nine. It would be her first birthday party ever. She deserves one. So for a party we need proper food other than soup and fruit. It needs decorations and maybe we can find ingredients to make a cake." I say everyone nods.
"Aside from that when we go on the run we could blind fold the remaining prisoners and drive them far away so that they can't find us again." I say.
"Thats a smart idea. We should go tomorrow. Myself, Daryl, glenn, Madison, Carl, luke.... I think we should bring Beth with us too." Rick says. I think its a good group. The others can stay here and watch over things.
"Tomorrow then." Glenn confirms.
****************************
I wake up the next day in Carls bed again because he's just so easy to lay next to, sleep next to. Any worries, any threats, any stress just evapourates when i'm with him. He's so easy to be around. It's like breathing air, its so natural. He shakes me awake while running kisses down my neck. A soft moan escapes my mouth without permission.
"If you keep going, i'll never be able to get out of this bed". He kisses further.
"I don't mind." He smirks. I playfully shove him as he grabs my hands and pulls me out of bed. I can't get dressed because we sleep in our clothes. We still don't get the luxury of pj's which is too bad because I can't remember the last time I ever wore one. I put on my combat boots and tie my hair into a messy bun. I walk into my room and grab my bow and sling my arrows on my back. I walk over to Abbies bed and slightly shake her.
"Abbie? Abbie i'm goin now, i'll be gone for the day on a run and we're taking the prisoners away." I explain. She opens her eyes slightly.
"Please be careful! If you die i'll kill you." She chuckles. I do too. I ruffle her all ready messy bed hair and kiss her forehead. "Love you Abbie."
"I love you too, Maddie."
*****************************
We've been on the road for what seems like hours. We have to go far away so the prisoners in the back of the truck won't find their way back. Rick, Michonne and Glenn sit in the front of the truck while the rest of us are in the back with the tied up, blind folded prisoners.
"Are we there yet?" I ask for the third time.
Rick laughs. "Madison, you literally asked that question 10 minutes ago."
"So can you answer it?" I roll my eyes.
"No. We have another hour to go."
I groan and nudge my head off the truck wall. Carl brought a deck of cards and tries to teach me poker. I gave it a go but by the end of one game I owed him the next chocolate bar I find even though I told him that I havn't had chocolate in about 8 years. We lived off stale bread slices or left over pasta if we were lucky. Although on christmas they gave us one orange to split among all of us.
Carl said 'too bad' and I hit him which made him laugh harder so I sat beside Beth. She was starring at Daryl.
"Are you close?" I ask and she jumps.
"Jeeze, you scarred me. Yeah he saved from the prison." She tells me.
"What was the prison like?" I ask.
"It was amazing. So open and free. We had enough food, water, clothes. Whatever was needed was there. It was safe from walkers." She explains.
"I think the hospital has that potential. I have a good feeling about it." I admit.
"Yeah so do I. I think you've done more for our people than you realise."
"They would do the same." I shrug. She smiles and looks at Carl
"Yeah they would.... So you and Carl then?" She giggles. I can't help but join.
"Yeah, for a while now." I admit.
"Its so funny because last time I saw him his voice wasn't even broken." She laughs. I laugh awell.
"Awww. Thats so cuutteee." I say while laughing. Carl looks over to see whats so funny.
"Hey! What are you guys talkin about?"
"Oh just getting some old stories about you off Beth, ya know, like pre- broken voice." I tease and he's instantly alert and I hear everyone laugh.
"Beth I swear, tell her anything i'll-"
"Oh don't worry I heard a few already."
"So im never gonna hear the end of this?" He asks.
"Nope!" I pop the sound on the 'p'
"Ughh!!"
"Unless you wanna rethink the whole chocolate bar thing." I laugh.
"Fine have the freaking bar!!" He groans. I high five Beth.
"Thank you." I say.
"Anytime, I got plently more where that came from." She adds and Carl looks up from where he's now sitting again.
"I'm warning you Greene!!"
"I'm beginning to like you more and more already." I laugh to her.
*****************************
Rick stops the truck an hour later and we get out one by one grabbing a prisoner and pointing a gun to their head so they don't try anything. We do it in loads. We leave them on the second story in a random house and they can figure out the rest.
When they are upstairs we close the door shut and place some planks against it so no walkers can get in while they figure out a way to untie themselves. We drive deeper into the town and we collect food from houses nearby. Nothing fancy. Pasta, rice, frozen foods. We find a local bakery and clear it before we grab what we need. We find the ingredients we need for a cake and more for the future. We go through the town stores and shops and grab decorations and more food. We go to the local pharmacy and take any medical things we can get. At the counter there is a press with sparkling jewelery. One particular necklace caught my eye. The chain was made of silver and a small charm dangled from the bottom. It had a tanzanite coloured stone in the center and it was surrounded with small diamonds.
(See in picture above.)
I couldn't believe my luck as Abbies birthstone is tanzanite. Its her birthstone. Her birthday is the 5th of December. I take it pushing it into the front pouch of my bag. When we are done we leave the pharmacy. We walk back to the truck. This town is surprisingly quiet. Barely any walkers around and I understand why when i'm suddenly slammed to the ground. I struggle to get free but the weight ontop of me makes it hard to breath. I feel my arrows pointing in my back, not breaking the skin though.
"We've been looking for you!" The person screams. All of a sudden the weight is lifted off me by Daryl. Glenn and Michonne handle another man. Luke and Carl pick me up. I look over to my attackers and at first I didn't recognise the men but then it hit me. I did know them. They tried to kill me once upon a time.
"I remember you guys. You were looking for me, weren't you?" I say.