Chapter 77

There was no turning back once the words were spoken. Gu Siyu had a moment of regret, but saying the words meant that deep down, she truly felt that way.

It was just too late.

Even though she knew Huo Junxian was irrational, all she could do was seethe with powerless anger.

The night rain showed no signs of stopping, and the chaotic sound of rain made the atmosphere tense. Gu Siyu lit another cigarette, holding the butt between her fingers. Growing annoyed, she lifted her hand and pressed the ember into the ashtray.

Huo Junxian's anger made the autumn rain feel colder, chilling to the bone.

"I don't want half of Jin Yuansen's wealth that he promised me," Gu Siyu exhaled, the lingering smoke unpleasant. "You..."

The rest of her words needed careful consideration. Unsure whether to continue, she closed her eyes. "Let's keep our affairs between us, without involving others."

Huo Junxian remained silent, clearly disagreeing.

"Is that okay?"

Gu Siyu waited for her to respond, waited for a long time. Once again, she asked, "Can we, if I give it all up for you?"

"Are you trying to make me happy?" Huo Junxian wasn't waiting for an answer; she knew Gu Siyu wouldn't reply. "Oh, so you're drawing a clear line between us."

"I don't think so. I know it's impossible to draw a clear line now. I just feel that making our relationship a bit more normal is better."

"What do you mean by normal?" Huo Junxian's tone was calm.

Gu Siyu thought seriously, unable to articulate it. Finally, she pinched her nose bone. "You always say I belong to you, but have I ever agreed to that?"

Huo Junxian made a sound of acknowledgment.

"So, in this regard, I'm not lying to you. But..."

"Then I'll go and take it."

Gu Siyu felt a headache. The situation might not be so complicated, but the two of them could never clarify things. There was an insurmountable barrier between them.

"You're pushing me too hard."

"You're running too far."

They both spoke from their respective perspectives, each making sense.

Since the call had been made, Gu Siyu didn't rush to hang up. She could imagine that Huo Junxian was angry, and she was angry too. This anger now overshadowed the once beautiful relationship.

Humans are not inherently warlike creatures; they only put on armor and wield weapons when their safety is threatened. Gu Siyu reminded herself that they hadn't reached that point. It really hadn't.

Continuing down this path would only make each other angrier.

"Have you ever thought about me?" Huo Junxian asked again. "Did you ever think about what I would do when you ran away?"

Gu Siyu had naturally thought about it, even during the moments of free time commuting to and from work. It pained her heart, and she couldn't lie about it. Huo Junxian was like a thorn in her throat, impossible to swallow, stuck in her throat. She had thought about running away, how Huo Junxian would react, whether she would be sad or heartbroken.

But thinking about it, she felt like she was being too presumptuous.

Who did she think she was to dare to think like that?

"What's the use of asking these questions?" she retorted. "Did you ever think that by pushing me so hard, I might suffocate or feel scared? Have you thought about it? You haven't thought about what I mean to you, or maybe you have, but you're afraid that if you say it, I'll be even more scared, right?"