Chapter 2

Alyssa

The story of Jason Snow was very well known. He had started spending significant time at his mother's bakery when he was nine and learned the business inside and out. At age fifteen, he formulated a plan to expand the shop into a bakery chain then at seventeen, he launched campaigns that suddenly took the business international, rivaling the likes of Starbucks and Tim Horton's. He currently sat as the CEO of Sweet Nothings Bakery US, having gone to college and high school at the same time, earning both his high school diploma and bachelor's degree in marketing.

Yes, he was one of those guys. It was international news when he earned his MBA last month in May. It also didn't hurt that he was extremely attractive, which garnered the attention of just about every single woman in the world. His favorite kind were female singers, and he was known to be their favorite too. I didn't know my dad ran in these yuppie circles. I sat down on a stool as the bartender placed two cokes in front of us. We each took a sip, making awkward eye contact with each other. I really didn't know what to say. I mean, what did you say to the cheese roll king? Jason cleared his throat triggering my go to question,

"What brings you to this place?"

"A lawyer friend invited me, but I expected to be in a room full of fat cats in suits, what's your story?" he countered.

"My dad's the architect."

"Oh, so you're the fat cat's kitten." he teased.

I laughed, raising the glass to my lips and gave into a squeaky meow. He grinned, shaking his head.

"We don't really run with the clique." I said.

Having relationships with the Innocents was not prohibited, but there was an imaginary rule book that warned us against it. The corrupt should never befriend the innocent, only protect. Of course, growing up with attachments in the Innocent world, I broke that imaginary rule more often than not.

"Good, it'd be a shame to see a pretty face go to waste." Jason said.

I raised my eyebrow at that with a slight smile. He mimicked my movements adding a smirk of his own. Oh, there was that notorious male smirk. I knew his true intentions were hidden from me.

"Didn't fly?" he asked, his features turning gentle once more.

"It wasn't very subtle."

"Pretty girls make me nervous."

"Better, but not quite." I said.

What was this feeling of comfort? I'd just met him. I usually never did that with strangers unless it was an order I was supposed to befriend.

"You seem different from how I imagined." I told him.

"And how did you imagine me?" he asked, with twinkling eyes.

"You're easy going, it's nice,"

"Thanks, most people think I'm strange."

"Most people are intimidated by intelligence."

He beamed, modestly, running a hand through his perfectly styled hair. It looked as though it cooperated every day. It was worthy of jealousy, and from the looks of some of the other agents in the room, he was inspiring jealousy. My phone vibrated in my purse shaking the counter top. My Ground Master was calling!

"I really have to take this, excuse me." I said, beginning to slide off the stool.

He nodded and I walked off in search of a quieter area, feeling Jason's eyes follow in my direction. To the side of me was a grand piano being crowded by men I knew to be Special Operations Agents, like my parents.