Chapter 76

I scanned the room for something, my bag, anything! I dropped to my knees fumbling with the zipper; he couldn't die on me. Not today, not ever! My hands were noodles looking for my drug bag. I shakily ripped it open pulling out another syringe. This was filled with epinephrine, an adrenaline shot. This had to wake him up, but it was so dangerous, I could kill him. I couldn't do it, the risks were too much, but he was dead, I had to do it! With a shaking hand I felt around his chest for a direct route to the heart. I sucked in a deep breath and stabbed him right in the heart rushing the adrenaline in. Jason shot up, whimpering at the large needle sticking out of his chest. He wrapped his hand around it and yanked it out, screaming in the process. I covered my mouth, gasping quietly. Jason rubbed the area, looking up at me confused.

"What happened? Why, did you do that?" he asked with a hurt tone.

I held up the cocaine syringe and explained. He rubbed his face, then neck and ran his hand down to his chest as he sat up.

"I—I died?" he asked. 

I nodded shakily. That was too dangerous. I could have killed him. I mean he was already dead, but doing that could have ensure that he never woke up. He was dead and all this time I could have woken him up before. No, if I had waited any longer he would have been dead for real.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked quietly.

"I feel funny."

I leaned over and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"You were dead. Someone made you OD on cocaine. We need to take you the hospital."

"No-no I'll be fine."

"Jason, please."

A drop of something liquid fell on my forehead. I wiped it off looking at it in my hand. Red. I raised my eyes to the ceiling to see a huge red spot covering the air condition vent. Jason struggled to his feet and pulled me off the bed with him. That was blood meaning that something or someone was up there. I worked up the courage to go up there and pulled off the vent. A shriek erupted from my chest as a body tumbled out and onto the bed.

His IIA pin caught my eye making me gulp down hard. Jason cautiously looked for a wallet to find his name was Kade Humphrey. What was he doing here? Oh god, he was the messenger agent! Someone drugged Jason and killed this man. I backed away to the iPad. There on the screen was a note. Harris had left a note on the camera for us to read.

"Good luck finding me." I read.

He knew we were here. He was playing with us and that was making me boil.

He tried to hurt Jason and he killed an agent for us to find. Fine, he wanted to play games; I was his new opponent. Jason phoned Scott to request a cleanup crew and inform him of the overdose. My heart was beating too quickly, I almost felt like I was having an overdose. Jason took a seat at the little table rubbing his chest. We needed to go to the doctor, something could still happen to him.

I would kill to have a microphone implanted somewhere on Harris. I wanted to hear everything he was saying. The only thing I knew was that he was in close range, probably waiting for us. I doubted he knew exactly who we were, but he knew where we were. Jason's eyes were bloodshot and his movements were slow.

What if this had incredibly negative repercussions? Jason had had issues with drugs in the past. What if this reawakened a taste for cocaine?

"Go shower, maybe you'll feel better." I suggested.

He glazed his expression over to me nodding without a word. I watched him shuffle towards the bathroom slowly. Maybe he shouldn't shower without supervision. Once I was sure he was inside, I opened the door to be able to hear him in the event he fell or something. I looked at the body on the bed. His blood had penetrated through the sheets and surely into the mattress. The metallic scent stung my nose and revolted my stomach. A person knocked on the door drawing me near. It was the cleanup crew. I opened the door for them nodding towards the body. They spread a black body bag on the floor and moved the body over. I grimaced at the sound of the plop it made. Next they ripped off the sheets pulling out a bottle of Clorox to clean up the bloodstain.