Chapter 69

Alyssa

Once Chris and I returned home from paintball, I made dinner because there was no way he was getting behind that stove again. My stomach couldn't take anymore of his mystery dinners. The parental figures returned from their early dinner around 9 o'clock bringing with them a supermarket cake. Those were hands down, the best. My mom cut me a small piece and set it on a plate with some milk in a glass. I took a large bite, melting under the taste of the sugary frosting and deliciously baked bread. She took a seat in front of me with a slice of her own.

"Not out with Jason tonight?" she asked.

"Naw, he got a solo assignment with dad." I laughed.

"Oh no, haha. I hope he's still alive."

I smiled, looking down at my cake.

"I talked to dad before he left. He likes Jason. He's just, you know, being a dad." I told her.

"He just worries, as I do. I know you weren't home last night young lady."

Oops? All Jason's fault!

"Um, yeah I was with Jason." I said, clearing my throat awkwardly.

"All night?" I nodded.

"Doing what?"

She was getting that killer flare in her eyes.

"We went up to the Hollywood sign, and we fell asleep on the hood of his car, that's all." My mom shrugged.

"Well, that's cute. I um, kind of told your dad, so he might be sacrificing Jason by now."

"Ah, well Jason's a charmer, and nothing happened, he'll get out of it haha."

I took another bite of my cake licking up the spoon.

"But, it sucks because both of them are going to be gone for so long." I whined.

"Yeah, but it's your father and Jason on the same team, everything will go quickly, they're probably sealing the order right now."

"I hope so. I want them back soon. I don't want to spend my 21st alone."

"Oh that's true; it's that time of year again. You're not my baby anymore."

I laughed shrugging.

"Ah, well, we'll see." I said.

"Dad still gonna give you your first drink?" I nodded.

"Yeah, he told me he was gonna give me cabernet." My mom nodded.

"Well, then after that, we can all go to dinner and order with alcohol like adults. Chris and Luke already had their birthdays, you're the baby of the bunch."

She pinched my cheeks, making baby noises. I giggled moving her hand.

"I'm not a baby haha, I can handle anything."

***

Jason

We'd been hanging from our chains for two hours with nothing but the sound of rats scurrying across the floor to accompany us. My wrists and arms had turned numb with the lack of blood running through them. They felt heavy, almost dead.

"Jason?"

I raised my eyes to meet Mr. Winters'. The room was dark, but the light of the moon shone through the lone window shined on him.

"Tonight Jason, one of us is going to die, and it's going to be me. I killed the 9 infiltrators, it's my blood he wants." He said.

"No, don't say that. Come on Mr. Winters, we'll make it out." I tried assuring, but with the metal shackles digging into our skin, it seemed he was telling the truth.