Chapter 29

The air whooshed out of Chris' lungs as he looked to Matthew for help.

"We had to tell her." He quietly admitted.

"I am so disappointed in you. You're facilitating murder; I did not raise you to be a murderer." Miranda snapped.

Chris tried stuttering a sentence together again.

"Save it Christopher, I'm just here to let you know that I'm leaving. I can't stay here knowing that my son is going to be a killer and is helping others kill. You can stay with your slaughtering father and stepmother." She said, pushing past him.

"Mom you can't leave, where the hell are you going to go?" he cried.

She turned back, with eyes. "I have places to go. Don't, you worry about that."

"Mom, I am licensed to do this."

"I don't care if the president himself paid you! You're killing innocent people just because they're on some list!"

"Please stay, what will make you stay?" He begged, dropping to his knees and clasping her hand.

Miranda ripped it away in disgust. "I would stay if I knew you'd stop." She said.

Chris lowered his eyes to the floor, shaking his head softly.

"Mom, I can't do that. I signed a lifelong contract." He told her in a small voice.

"Goodbye Chris."

She shot me a glare only to have my dad step in front of me. She spit on his shoes slamming the front door on her way out.

Chris plopped back on his butt with a face of disbelief. Matthew called out to him, but he simply shook his head and went upstairs. His dad followed him up, leaving me with my parents. My mom sighed offering me a smile. "Welcome home." She said.

"Some welcome home. Why did you tell Miranda?"

"What were we supposed to do? Leave her sedated for as long as you were gone? Brainwash her? It was bound to come out someday."

"She didn't take it well."

"She's an Innocent, they can't take a lot of things."

"Is she really leaving?"

"Yeah... but we implanted a tracking chip deep in her skin so we can keep an eye on her. She'll come around eventually."

We stood quietly for a few awkward seconds then my dad suggested we bring down our bags. I kissed my dad goodbye as he took an escort vehicle home. My mom helped me bring everything upstairs then knocked on Chris' bedroom door. Matthew opened up and shook his head, gently nudging her away. My heart clenched for Chris, but I knew he didn't want to talk to anyone right now. I don't know why guys always avoided their feelings. He was probably not gong to talk to anyone or me. Just like Nick. Nick.

"I'll be back later!" I called as I darted downstairs.

I grabbed my car keys and climbed into my own car. It was finally time to settle all this trouble. My heart was beating hard against my chest. I hated fighting with Nick; he always made me feel guilty for not spending enough time with him. His car was parked in the driveway next to a car I didn't recognize. I looked around, but couldn't find his parents' car anywhere. Maybe they weren't home so whose car was that next to Nick's? I turned off the engine walking up to the door. It was unlocked as usual, but I knocked as I opened it anyway. Everything was quiet until a girlish giggle sounded from somewhere upstairs. I slowly climbed up hearing it a couple of more times until I realized it was coming from Nick's bedroom.