Chapter 20

Alyssa

As soon as Jason's taillights were in the distance, Lilliana smacked me in the arm. I yelped shooting her a sharp glare. She scolded me as we walked back to the house going on and on about getting myself killed. I tuned out her harsh tones looking at all the trees and different colored flowers decorating the street we were walking down. She finished her tongue lashing with a sigh. I slid a curious eye over watching her run a hand over her stomach. Oh man, she wanted me to ask. Be nice Alyssa, "Are you okay, Lilliana?" I asked.

"... I went to see your brother after he'd gotten checked in and almost fainted going to his room. Some nurses helped me into a chair then administered a test... I'm pregnant Alyssa and going through a divorce."

She burst into tears leaning against a fate. Well those pregnancy hormones didn't waste any time.

"Don't cry it'll be okay... Maybe this divorce doesn't have to finalize, what happened if you don't mind me asking?"

She snuffled wiping her face then ran a hand through her hair.

"John is one of the higher ranking Night Hounds so they do special missions. He was ordered to seduce a woman, but he didn't kill her on the intended night. He developed a relationship with her saying he needed her full trust. He would come home smelling of her... Before I knew it, she was his mistress. I was heartbroken and decided I wasn't going to let this happen so I asked for a divorce. He didn't hesitate to say yes." She explained.

The tears in her eyes had been replaced by disappointment and sadness. "How far along are you?" I asked.

"4 months ago."

"And when did you call the-?"

"2 months ago..."

I slipped my arm around her shoulders attempting to make her feel better. "I feel alone." She admitted.

"Hey, for as long as I'm around you'll always have me and Chris, and Alex. But you have to tell John."

She nodded as she pinched the bridge of her nose. I pulled her along back down to the house. The creaking of a gate reached my ears, sending a chill running down my back. I stopped, turning over my shoulder in time to see a man dressed in black entering a house.

He rang the doorbell as he removed a gun from his holster. I grabbed Lilliana's arm, nodding in his direction. The man kicked the door down yelling, "Agent 96, 93 you've been targeted by the GFA."

Lilliana yanked me behind the corner house, pressing her phone to her ear as she cocked her gun. My adrenal glands were beginning to work over time filling my body with that elating sensation. When she finished calling in a security breach and code 27, she hurried me down towards the hospital. The GFA was here.

***

Jason

The town was empty, almost resembling a ghost town when I arrived again. I hadn't been a second into a conversation with my grandparents when Scott called and urgently ordered me back to Alexia. The Protections Commissioner had called in a security breach and code 27. It was a case of mistaken identity that needed to be resolved immediately. I heard a shuffle behind somewhere. My eyes scanned the area coming across what looked like a shoelace peeking from the side of the post office. I went around finding a little boy trying to hide under a tire.

"Hey, hey," I said, hoping to coax him out.

He peeked up at me with tears dripping off his chin. "Are you IIA?" he croaked. "I'm Agent 94 at your service."