Chapter 78

Jason

I was impatiently waiting for Ryan to come home. Last night Scott called me up for an order so that kept me up all night. We had an order to start in an hour and this was supposed to be the time I had to sleep, but how could I sleep when I didn't know whether the pen worked on Paul or not? I could barely keep my eyes open at this point. Alyssa was no better than me. She cried on the way home. Quietly of course and she thought I hadn't heard her, but I had. That didn't help me at all because I didn't know how to lessen the stress on her. If I did that I would put more stress on myself. I wasn't going to deal with this at the moment and I knew that was why Alyssa was hiding that from me. I rubbed my eyes curling up on the couch. Where the hell were you Ryan? I rubbed my eyes again trying to keep them open. Up all damn night. I had an alarm that was going to ring in 20 minutes. Time passed too quickly when you were really tired. I swear it felt as if I had just fallen asleep when my alarm rang. My eyes heavily opened burning at the light coming through the window.

Ryan still wasn't home. That pissed me off. Right now was not the right time to make me wait. I slammed the bathroom door shut to shower and hopefully wake up. It didn't help. I made some coffee and that didn't help. I threw back a 5-hour energy drink fully knowing that that stuff was bad for me, but I needed it. Alyssa was getting a separate order. Oh great, worry me on top of depriving me of sleep. I didn't even say anything to Scott I just took it and left. The order didn't take me too long. I wasn't there to waste time so I just grabbed the guy by the collar and sedated him faster than he was even able to process what had happened. This was the only assignment of the day. Both Scott and Lydia knew we hadn't gotten any sleep and that it was taking a toll on us. As I arrived home, Giselle's car caught my attention. What was she doing at my house? I cautiously opened the front door to find her standing in the foyer. I knew it was a bad idea to tell her where the spare key was. 

"Mr. Snow, good morning." She said. 

"Good morning, Giselle."

"I'm sorry to be standing in your foyer in this manner, but you haven't been in the office in weeks and work has been backing up."

I rubbed my face going through a string of curses in my head. 

"I'll be there today. 

"Again, I'm sorry for coming in like this."

"It's all right. I appreciate your concern in the welfare of the company. I'll see you at the office." I said.

"Yes sir."

She looked at the cuts on my face brought on by the mirror shards. Giselle cleared her throat awkwardly and hurried out of the front door. I walked further into the living room where Ryan was casually seated before his computer. 

"And where the hell have you been!" I demanded. 

"Damn relax, why are you so angry with me?"

"Because! I was waiting for your ass to get home and I only got 20 minutes of sleep. I was up all last night working, and I expected you to be home early so you can tell me what happened with Paul!"

I needed to pull the plug on my temper, but it was bubbling faster than I could control it. 

"He doesn't remember anything, sorry." Ryan said.

"I have to get to the office."

"Don't you want to sleep?"

"Sleep? I'd love to sleep! But I can't!"

I stormed up the stairs to shower again in hopes that maybe it would perk me up, even just a little bit and get rid of the smell. My order had thrown me into his cat's litter box. Now I knew why Alyssa had cried. After drying off, I changed into a fresh suit then went out to my car before I changed my mind. Traffic hit me on my way to the office. It took all of me not to honk at every person who drove like this was a casual drive in the country. My employees casted me odd expressions as they took note of the cuts on my face. They probably thought I was in some type of underground fight club or something. It was a surprise that my COO and Vice President of Marketing hadn't called my mother. They were original employees of the bakery in Darling and when this company took off, I brought them with me to run the Los Angeles corporate office with me.