Chapter 80

Alyssa

I woke up being hooked up to an IV machine. My side was sore, but wasn't hurting too much.

"Good, you are awake." a voice said.

I turned groggily to see Lydia and Scott. Jason was sitting down. He tried to stand up to come over to the bed, but Scott ordered him to sit down. What's going on?

"Do you know what you two did?" Lydia asked.

"No." I choked out clearing my throat.

"You two know that you failed your mission, do you not?"

I tried sitting up feeling a shooting pain.

"I—we."

"Silence!"       

I swallowed hard, beginning to grow frightened. Lydia has never used this tone with me.

"You two know that under no circumstances are you to ever stop during an order. You Jason were supposed to go after him, and you Alyssa, were supposed to help yourself! You failed to put your order down inside of the base. It was a form of luck that we thought to put the team outside of the base. If not, then he would have escaped! Do you at all understand how important this was!"

Lydia turned away and Scott took over.

"You two understand that now you must be punished." he said.

"But—" Jason tried.

"SILENCE!"

Jason meekly sat down.

"Jason, you were fine to go and find Higgins, but you failed to do so. I cannot stress enough how stupid that was! You let that man go free. He was a high priority order. We told you how important this was! What is your excuse?"

Scott and Lydia looked from me to Jason.

"That was not a rhetorical question!"

Scott was furious. Jason was the first to try to give him an explanation.

"She—"

"Forget it! I do not want to know!"

Lydia took the floor again.

"Jason, go home, now! Alyssa, you will be discharged in 20 minutes and then you will go home. You are not to work for the next week. No contact, no nothing, you are on lockdown. Is that clear?" she asked.

We nodded.

"I better hear sound from your mouths!"

"Yes."

"Yes."

We both answered.

"Good. Now leave Jason!"

He scrambled to his feet and quickly left. Scott went after him after giving me a hard look.

What just happened? We were in trouble.

"You screwed up Winters." Lydia angrily said, slamming the room door shut.

I'd never been in trouble like this. Hot tears welled up in my eyes. What was going to happen? Why couldn't we see each other for a week? What was going to happen at the end of the week? I lifted the sheet over me and looked down at my side. It had been freshly stitched. Maybe that's why they chose a week so I could heal. The doctor came in close to half an hour later and had me sign the discharge papers.

He told me not to do too much heavy work until the end of the week. He also told me that I hadn't been shot too bad. The bullet just happened to hit a little ball of veins, but there was no irreversible damage so I'd be fine and would heal in half the time a normal shotgun wound would take. I signed off and was escorted home by another car. Lydia had taken the liberty of taking my car home.