Chapter 55

I awoke earlier than usual to make last minute preparations. My heart was beating rapidly and my nerves were pulsing. I welcomed the sensations, nursing them just a bit until the rest of my family joined me for breakfast. My dad arrived shortly thereafter, dressed professionally in his black, razor sharp suit and carrying his suitcase. He set it next to ours in the foyer, when Jason, texted me to let me know that he was on his way to the airport, making that was our cue to leave.

We hauled our suitcases into my mom's SUV, locking down the house tightly then headed off to LAX. My hands tingled the closer we got to the airport. It wasn't even as if his family were already there waiting for me, but just the thought that in a short plane ride we'd be in Darling, it was enough to have me bubbling in all kinds of nerves.

What if his parents didn't like me? What if they were suspicious of me? What if for some bizarre reason, they actually liked Christina better than me? That would be awful. It would ruin everything. What if his parents didn't like my parents or vice versa?

My mom reached over and squeezed my shoulder telling me to relax. I smiled at her faintly and turned to look out of the window. We arrived to the airport quicker than I'd hoped, but it had to happen sometime, right? My dad helped us ladies bring our bags down, then we strolled into the airport to check-in. Jason was waiting for us with his passport on hand. He hugged and kissed me in a respectful manner, and greeted my family with hugs, but a handshake for my dad.

"Alright gentleman I expect a good clean trip, all fighting has to be done now or forever hold your peace." I said, placing my hands on my hips.

My dad and Jason looked down at me. I had never felt shorter in my life, but I held a firm stance. They looked at each other, relaxing their demeanors.

"Thank you for paying for the trip, Jason. It's very kind of you." My dad said.

"It's no problem, thank you for accepting to come. It means a lot that you're coming to meet my family."

"It's my pleasure."

They shifted their gazes back down to me. Well, it was a start. Jason handed us our tickets then we waited for our flight to be called after going through all those tedious airport motions.

While we waited, Jason took the opportunity to tell me a little about his family so I could gauge an idea of what they would be like. His mother, Sandra "Sandy" Snow was of course the proud owner of Sweet Nothing's Bakery. His dad, Jordan, was a software engineer working for Apple. His aunt, Denise Snow-Greene, was a superintendent of the Darling School District. His grandmother, Sarah Snow, was a retired bioengineer and his grandfather, Lewis Snow, was a retired district attorney. On his mother's side, his grandmother, Delia Breyer, was a retired history professor and his grandfather, Ray Breyer, was a retired civil engineer. His aunt, Cassidy Breyer-Davis, was an environmental lawyer and his uncle, Eric Breyer, was cardiologist.

Eventually, after finishing with check-in and lounging around for an hour-and-half, our flight was called prompting us to stand and pull out our boarding passes. Jason laced his fingers with mine, giving them a little squeeze. We boarded the plane finding our seats were a little dispersed. My parents were together, but my dad was with Jason and I was with Chris.

This was going to be interesting. We took our seats waiting for everyone else to finish boarding. I looked over at Jason and my dad who were actually in a conversation. I was extremely curious, but Chris kept me in my seat. The captain welcomed us aboard and introduced himself. He went over some precautionary measures then the plane was sealed and we started down the runway. Once in the air, I slipped in my earbuds to listen to some music and read one of the books on my phone.