Chapter 53

My phone buzzed under my head, making me lazily feel around for it. Through blurry vision I saw it was 4:30 a.m., ugh. I answered groggily not even bothering to check who would call at this hour. A woman's voice greeted me on the other line. It was with that commanding tone that I knew it was Lydia. Only she would be up at the butt crack of dawn. I sat up, with eyes still closed. I had an order to do by myself this morning.

I was going to the IIA Embassy here in Drumnadrochit to pick up my paycheck. I thanked her, sliding out of bed to hit the shower. Before getting in, a message from her had lit up my phone. Jason had spoken to Scott about going to the Edinburgh Dungeons so this was my permission slip. I thanked her again slipping into the hot water.

After a few minutes, I shut off the water, then dried off and changed into warm clothes. A chill was setting into Scotland today. Chris was still asleep, so I left a note on his nightstand then slipped out of the room without a sound. Lydia had sent directions to the GPS to guide me to my destination. It was clearly dangerous to have an embassy here in the heart of the GFA, but the GFA had an embassy in the heart of the IIA, it was only fair.

I arrived shortly and hurried towards the entrance before anyone from the GFA saw me. It was only safe to assume that they had constant eyes trained on this place. I scanned my ID at the door, typing in my birthday and allowed for my eye to be imaged. The large tumblers unlocked and the iron doors slid open. I awed at the sight inside. The floors were polished tile that gleamed and echoed with my heels. The walls were made of bulletproof glass with intricate designed frosted on. Beside the front desk was the image of a bronze tree with two plaques on the trunk. It held the names of the top International agents and Ground Masters since the beginning of the organization. I ran my fingers over my number and Jason's.

The three women working at the front desk didn't seem to notice my presence in the room until I walked up to them. They all greeted me with a warm and cheery Scottish accent. I smiled and gave one of them my name so she could direct me to the right place. After scanning my ID, she sent me off to the 5th floor where the cash offices were. I thanked her, hurrying up to catch the closing elevator. My ID was required once again before the doors could close.

Arriving at the 5th floor, I passed through another set of glass doors that another agent kindly held open for me. The girl at the desk looked up at me with a smile and sweet greeting.

"I came to pick up my check." I said.

"May I please see your ID and have your Ground Master's name?"

I handed her my ID and then Lydia's name. She scanned my ID then my eye.

"Would you like direct deposit into your bank account?" she said.

"Yes please."

She nodded as she typed away. A few seconds later, a receipt was being printed.

"Here you go Miss."

"Thank you."

"No, thank you for your service to the IIA."

I took a leisurely walk back to the car and took advantage of the quiet morning to really take in the beautiful landscape Scotland possessed. The lush greens and mountainsides were incredible.

The ride back to the hotel was unfortunately shorter than the drive to the Embassy. I set the car alarm then went up to my floor where Ryan was exiting Jason's room. I greeted him as he leaned against the wall.

"Hey Ryan, I just wanted to tell you that Jason really appreciates how you took the news. It'll get easier to accept in time."

He ran a hand over the back of his head then asked if we could speak in private. I unlocked my room inviting him in. Chris was sitting on the bed putting his shoes on.